flower power

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

flower power

Post by Keitha »

Heard a mention of Prima flowers on a podcast this morning - remember how crazy everyone was for those when they first appeared? Anyway, I thought sorting and purging my flowers would be a fun thing to do while listening. For years I've kept my flowers in a big glass cookie jar that I decorated as part of a BPC class back in the day, then the overflow accumulated in an Iris box. I decided it was time to scale back to only what would fit in the jar, although truthfully can't tell you the last time I used a flower embellishment on a layout. But I'm not one to get rid of all of something.
More hours than I care to admit later, this is the result of my efforts. I decided to ditch the jar; the shelf space it takes up next to me might be better used for something I reach for frequently. I loosely sorted by warm colours, cool colours, neutrals (many of which can be painted or inked) and leaves, and by removing all the packaging was able to get a lot of flowers in each baggie. The last baggie is a tropical assortment with things like plumeria and bird of paradise - assuming I can figure out which is which; it came with an index so I decided to keep it together. I definitely kept more than I likely need but am hoping to use them for other things - package decorations for instance. And as they easily fit back in the Iris box I'm ahead of the game space-wise.
Attachments
flowers_r.jpg
flowers_r.jpg (229.52 KiB) Viewed 503 times
paddlegal

Re: flower power

Post by paddlegal »

Whoa Keitha! Well done sorting and compacting them. Strangely this is one “doodad” I never went in for. I never knew what to do with them though I’ve received beautiful boxes and albums from friends with flower decorations. :D

Great that you now have a space within reach for something you use frequently.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Since Maddie no longer lives with us, the only time I get to do "girly" things is if I have a good photo of Macie. I tried to work some poinsettas into my Christmas LOs but gave up on them. Strange how our taste and "needs" change so much. I still have a lot of florals and fibers/ribbons left even after purging over half of them.

Maybe we need a "use your flowers" challenge. Or not. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:Since Maddie no longer lives with us, the only time I get to do "girly" things is if I have a good photo of Macie. I tried to work some poinsettas into my Christmas LOs but gave up on them. Strange how our taste and "needs" change so much. I still have a lot of florals and fibers/ribbons left even after purging over half of them.

Maybe we need a "use your flowers" challenge. Or not. :lol:

Not! :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

LOL Farley! I will say Pam, I was kind of thinking we could use a flower challenge as I was sorting. Too bad I already picked my supply for the monthly neglected stash challenge.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I got rid of a bunch of jars of flowers, too... they were cute back when I didn't have any supplies... but now they just take up room... those flowers are much more compact in a ziploc bag with the air smooshed out LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Good job Keitha! I’m reassessing my desk space. It’s too small to have rarely used items taking up real estate - no matter how pretty they might be. Honestly feeling like nothing needs a permanent space on my desk top!
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

While making the layouts for my granddaughters trip this summer I have used a package of flowers. I am determined to start using them more, in my case it’s out of sight out of mind. I need to keep some on my work surface so I see them.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

nchoney wrote:I got rid of a bunch of jars of flowers, too... they were cute back when I didn't have any supplies... but now they just take up room... those flowers are much more compact in a ziploc bag with the air smooshed out LOL
My jars of flowers reside on top of the medicine cabinet
in the bathroom. I have a floral wallpaper and the flowers
in the jars go well with the wallpaper as an accent
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn