don't listen to everything Pam C tells you

Keitha

don't listen to everything Pam C tells you

Post by Keitha »

Pam mentioned heat embossing wood veneers so I decided to try it too. I had no problem getting the embossing powder to heat up - Pam, are you using an embossing heat gun and not one to heat-set ink? (Tim's heat tool doesn't get hot enough.) My issues were messier. I didn't get a nice, smooth finish but instead the powder bubbled up - which might have something to do with either the distress stain I laid down first, or the fact that I had a lot of powder on the pieces. I didn't bother to put the excess powder back in the jar before firing up the heat gun - and while I was fighting to keep my little wood veneers from blowing away totally missed that the embossing powder was blowing all over my table. Swiffer to the rescue! I will admit that I got a shinier finish than just with the Distress stain, so imperfect as they are they're going on the page.
So Pam, thanks for that idea. I think.
pamcook

Re: don't listen to everything Pam C tells you

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:Pam mentioned heat embossing wood veneers so I decided to try it too. I had no problem getting the embossing powder to heat up - Pam, are you using an embossing heat gun and not one to heat-set ink? (Tim's heat tool doesn't get hot enough.) My issues were messier. I didn't get a nice, smooth finish but instead the powder bubbled up - which might have something to do with either the distress stain I laid down first, or the fact that I had a lot of powder on the pieces. I didn't bother to put the excess powder back in the jar before firing up the heat gun - and while I was fighting to keep my little wood veneers from blowing away totally missed that the embossing powder was blowing all over my table. Swiffer to the rescue! I will admit that I got a shinier finish than just with the Distress stain, so imperfect as they are they're going on the page.
I was using Tim’s heat gun! I need to get my old tool out of the yard sale crap and try it again. We’ll do anything to use up that wood veneer stash.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote:
Keitha wrote:Pam mentioned heat embossing wood veneers so I decided to try it too. I had no problem getting the embossing powder to heat up - Pam, are you using an embossing heat gun and not one to heat-set ink? (Tim's heat tool doesn't get hot enough.) My issues were messier. I didn't get a nice, smooth finish but instead the powder bubbled up - which might have something to do with either the distress stain I laid down first, or the fact that I had a lot of powder on the pieces. I didn't bother to put the excess powder back in the jar before firing up the heat gun - and while I was fighting to keep my little wood veneers from blowing away totally missed that the embossing powder was blowing all over my table. Swiffer to the rescue! I will admit that I got a shinier finish than just with the Distress stain, so imperfect as they are they're going on the page.
I was using Tim’s heat gun! I need to get my old tool out of the yard sale crap and try it again. We’ll do anything to use up that wood veneer stash.
You'll get your chance in May (it's what I picked for my neglected supplies) :twisted: :twisted:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Would it depend on the type of embossing powder and that you put ink on the veneer first?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I've used embossing powder on wood veneers many times. My ink of choice is versamark, and I'm a bit OCD about putting excess powder in the jar before heat setting it. I use my old heat gun, not the Ranger one (yes, I have both), and a metal pick (aka poke tool) to gently hold it in place.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Sometimes imperfect is actually perfect! I'll have to try this.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com