sequins

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

sequins

Post by Keitha »

What do you all store your sequins in? A pack here, a pack there - and all of a sudden I find myself with enough that I'd like some way other than in little baggies to store them that might make them easier to use, as well as see what I've got. I'm hoping better organization will mean I'll use them more.
I'm also curious if you use some kind of jewel picker tool, like the Crystal Katana, and how you like it. That particular one is ridiculously expensive here so I'm open to other ideas - or if you think a tool is even worthwhile.
pamcook

Re: sequins

Post by pamcook »

I have mine in those plastic food storage containers. They’re loosely sorted into color families. Blues & greens in one section, pinks, reds & purples in another, whites in another. I use my craft tweezers or my fingers. Very low-tech but they’re one of my least favorite supplies to use.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I've been contemplating storage myself for these and the shaker packs I have, as the baggies are overflowing the drawer they're in currently. I'm thinking of a multi-compartment container or two that I can easily see into and pick what I want from it. As for tools, it's tweezers, a finger, or the Silhouette Pick-Me-Up tool.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I rarely used sequins until I latched onto Catherine Pooler goodies. Each release there’s always a new pot of sparkly pretties. And I’m now pretty much a sucker for them but I do use them frequently. I think I have 15 CP sequin mixes in these pots plus a few Trinity specialty bits. As for tools I use three of them though I use the white sticky pencil the least. Top is the Marvy Jewel Picker and it’s great but you have to be careful to keep it clean or it looses the stickiness. The WeR Quick Stick is my second favorite with the right end that pulls out with a sharp point or a spatula type tool. Those triangles I got on amazon and use all the time to shake out and pour back in sequins, plus hold tiny dies or the pin that I pull out of my glue bottle and keep track of. All of these items are in an Iris drawer next to me for easy access.
Attachments
C5C7C695-E418-4742-82DD-DAE3423D1521.jpeg
C5C7C695-E418-4742-82DD-DAE3423D1521.jpeg (175.76 KiB) Viewed 813 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Thanks ladies, for your thoughts. Monica, if you decide on something please share. I've been considering the CraftMate Lockables - and then realized how many I'd need, so decided I needed to get in the habit of using the product more before I spend money on a different storage solution. Right now the little assortments are jumbled together in a container, but I've realized I need to sort them better so I know what I've got - Pam, I see some plastic food containers in my near future. I also need to have my tools handier - and then challenge myself to add them to every card and page I make for awhile, to either get in the habit or prove to myself I should stop buying them.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

These work really well for me. I could probably dump them all in one container. Don’t need more than this in my stash!
EF836A4C-4DB6-4A04-9AAF-4751E0A6E8CF.jpeg
EF836A4C-4DB6-4A04-9AAF-4751E0A6E8CF.jpeg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 798 times
70288AB6-4E9F-48B1-B06B-976547A5207E.jpeg
70288AB6-4E9F-48B1-B06B-976547A5207E.jpeg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I've bought some of these containers... at the Dollar Tree or at Tuesday Morning... and then I keep them in one of the Iris boxes that are for keeping cards, etc.

I didn't used to... they used to be all over the place... but they're all in one place now... maybe I'll start using them!!

Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I use the Embellie Gellie. It was relatively inexpensive and I rarely use sequins so not an issue. I have some small plastic containers that I store sequins in. They were already sorted into colors when I bought them, so that's how I kept them. The small boxes are in one of my decorative boxes so everything is together.

What I really wish I could find is a good glue to hold them. I've tried a lot of things but they still come off at the slightest touch of a finger. I may just stick with using Stickles where I want a bit of glitz instead of bothering with the dratted things.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Huh, I'd never heard of the Embellie Gellie so just watched a video. I don't know if it was the gal demoing, but I'd like a tool that let's go of the embellishment as easily as it picked it up - once you've placed it where you want it LOL. I, too, would like to know a good glue - one that holds well, and dries invisible. Much as I like Ranger's Matte Accents I hate the way the tip clogs.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I used the stackable ones that Debi posted for many things over the years but my favorite is these aluminum cases from Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ho ... inum-cases

I have the small size jars about 1" across and also the large ones which are around 2" across.
Attachments
27K2203-53mm-set-of-15-cases-f-19.jpg
27K2203-53mm-set-of-15-cases-f-19.jpg (105.27 KiB) Viewed 767 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:40 am I use the Embellie Gellie. It was relatively inexpensive and I rarely use sequins so not an issue. I have some small plastic containers that I store sequins in. They were already sorted into colors when I bought them, so that's how I kept them. The small boxes are in one of my decorative boxes so everything is together.

What I really wish I could find is a good glue to hold them. I've tried a lot of things but they still come off at the slightest touch of a finger. I may just stick with using Stickles where I want a bit of glitz instead of bothering with the dratted things.

Pam I started using this glue a few months ago and LOVE it. It comes in various sizes but it sticks great and I now use it for all my gluing needs including sequins and adhering card stock to card panels. Dries fast but you do have a brief wiggle room time. I think it’s also on amazon.

https://shop.catherinepooler.com/collec ... early-arts
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

mpizzazz wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:41 pm I used the stackable ones that Debi posted for many things over the years but my favorite is these aluminum cases from Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ho ... inum-cases

I have the small size jars about 1" across and also the large ones which are around 2" across.

I have one of those! Didn't think about putting the sequins in it but now I'll probably move them.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

Debi, those little cases look perfect.