big scene patterned papers

New tricks to amaze your friends
Keitha

big scene patterned papers

Post by Keitha »

I was watching a video last night where the gal took a paper that's one big scene from edge to edge, and used it for the background of a 3-photo layout. I'm often drawn in by the imagery on those papers, but admit they're hard to use because if you bought it for the scene, you don't really want to cover it all up. I thought this gal did a good job of preserving the important aspects of the scene and still creating an interesting layout. Steven Duncan, who designs for Carta Bella, often has papers like this. Pam and Debbie, Khristina Sorge often has creative ideas for using difficult papers. Have you seen her do a layout using one of these recently? If so I'll be sure to search for it. Or has anyone else got a recommendation for a good execution of a layout using this type of paper?
nchoney

Re: big scene patterned papers

Post by nchoney »

I have trouble using those kinds of prints, too. It was often hard to cover up the ClubScrap designs on some of their pages... and I hated cutting them up into smaller pieces because then I lost most of the design... if I just wanted colored cardstock, that's what I'd use.. LOL granted, some of it is just me being weird... I hate cutting into the pages I got when they sold "damaged" ones or on clearance... LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I struggle with those too. I wouldn't likely have picked out stuff like that a la carte, but there was a period of time when I was ordering every warehouse box there was from Websters Pages, and they had a lot of papers like that. The scenes weren't really the whole page, but those papers didn't really work for cutting, and I didn't want to cover up the primary design. I think I usually used those by matting one or two photos and slapping on a title and calling it a day.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Khristina did do a video using a “photo real” paper. It was one of her daily videos in the past month or so. If I run across it, I’ll send you the date.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:12 pm Khristina did do a video using a “photo real” paper. It was one of her daily videos in the past month or so. If I run across it, I’ll send you the date.
Thanks Pam, I have watched that video which I thought was a good option for using a photo-realistic paper, and why I thought she might have done one using an illustration rather than a photo. To my mind, full-page illustrations are more difficult to cut up because often chunks of them on their own don't make sense - they're not abstract enough to 'read' as just colour, and depending on the image you can't really tell what it is. Not sure if that makes sense.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh! Sorry - my brain went straight to those photo-real papers.

I don't recall anyone addressing them. I would flip it over or just cover it up and that's not at all helpful! I hope you get some great suggestions.
Pam Cook #48