Travel Plans!

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
jfugina

Travel Plans!

Post by jfugina »

Oh man - so this week is coming up on the one year anniversary of the last time I went to work at my office. We went with the marching band to Disney World, leaving town on the 13th. On the way down (we drove), we were about 6 hours ahead of the buses. We were in the middle of Georgia, and the kids were just in Kentucky, and the national news broke that Disney World would be closing after the weekend. The band was supposed to leave Monday night, so they'd only miss a day, but there was debate among parents back home to "cut our losses - turn the buses around and come back home". Several parents were already in Orlando because they'd flown down earlier that day.

Well, after consulting with the school district, the decision was made to proceed and make the best of it. And we all had quarantine letters waiting for us from the county when we got back home. In the days we were gone, the schools had decided not to re-open and my work had sent people home with their laptops and told not to come back on site until further notice. My family has not dined in a restaurant since the last place we dined on that Disney trip. None of us have left the state, and actually, only Rob and Jake have traveled more than one county outside from ours. I didn't really think we were doing too bad from a mental health perspective, but today, I started making reservations for Nicole and I to take a "last hurrah" road trip before she moves into the dorm, and I was NOT prepared for the amount it lifted my spirits!

Due to a massive project at work that's going live on July 1, there is a vacation moratorium for all involved from May through August. This was not OK with me because my daughter was leaving home and I was not going to tell her we couldn't have one last vacation before she left because of work. So I managed to negotiate a two week vacation for the last two weeks before Nicole left. We have been pondering a road trip, with one of the primary destinations being the whole Magnolia complex in Waco, TX. But due to a recent discovery that we had vacation club points expiring on 8/1, we just decided today to make the first stop on our trip a couple of days in Disney World. And because I don't particularly want to spend our first day+ driving to Orlando, it looks like we'll fly there and rent a car one-way for the rest of the trip.

:happywave:

So.... first thing - I'm super excited to have travel plans again. I mean like, I thought I wasn't super bothered by all of this time at home, but man oh man - looking at car rental options and flight schedules just made me giddy. Next I have a question though - we've got about 5 days to spend trekking from Orlando to Waco, TX. I figure we'll mostly run not far north of the coast between Talahassee and Houston, but once we leave Florida, I'll be visiting every state from there all the way back to Missouri for the first time in our lives. If anyone has any favorite spots along the Gulf Coast that we should check out, I'm all ears. I figure we'll find some nice beaches and spend a few hours checking out some beach towns. New Orleans is on the list, but I'm not sure what else we should try to hit along the way. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has traveled through those areas.

Sorry for the super long post - but I'm just so excited!!!!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie AZ

Re: Travel Plans!

Post by Debbie AZ »

Rod and I travelled that coast line on our last big road trip. We detoured to see Graceland which I’m glad we did and Gulfport is beautiful too. We stopped in Mobile, Al and toured a big ship and Little Rock too. We took in a Cardinals game on the way home. Great trip with lots of memories. We spend several days in New Orleans too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPhMPnQ58k
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It sounds like fun - except for the August heat part. I've been in FL in August which made me never want to be in the Deep South in August again. Now that I think about it - just being able to travel again might over-weigh the oppressive heat?

I'm no help but I will be cheering you on and am looking forward to hearing all about it. :cool5:
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So I think I've calculated that the total drive time won't be any less than 30 hours, and that's IF we fly the first leg down to Orlando. So I'm probably looking to not make too many diversions too far north. Even though Nicole can drive, I don't anticipate her doing much, if any of the driving on this trip. If it were Rob and me with the kids, it would be a different story. But so far, Nicole (and her BFF who we decided last night would be joining us) are totally on board with three days of beach town pit stops with just a few hours of driving in-between. It looks like our one super long day will be from New Orleans to Waco, unless we can find some attraction to hit along the way and we add a night.

Pam -I'm 100% with you on the Florida heat. I've visited Disney World during every single month of the year except April. June through August are nothing short of miserable, and I'm at my absolute low point for being out of shape. I've gained a lot of weight over the last year and I have never in my life found a physical activity that I enjoy more than sedentary activities. So it's going to be rough. But this is Nicole's trip, and there isn't really any option for a different season that's less oppressive. So here we are. :-) Besides, I kind of figure that where Disney is concerned, I may be perfectly happy hanging out in the shade with a book and a cold beverage while the girls go do their thing. At 17 and 18, they can totally navigate the parks on their own and I can just as easily spend the day poolside, or browsing the resort shops.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Poolside with a book sounds like heaven.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

George and I spent our honeymoon in Florida - the 2nd week of Sept. First down to Ft. Myers and then up to Orlando. In the middle of horrible heat, humidity, daily rain storms and a love bug infestation. On top of that I didn't have the brains to pack shorts. Oy. We went into as many inside rides as possible to get out of the heat. I think we both could have spent all day in It's a Small World, the Haunted Mansion and the Hall of Presidents just for the AC.

Poolside and a book sounds like a doable plan to me! Especially if there's a nicely muscled cabana boy to bring drinks. ;) Eye candy makes everything better. 8-)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm Poolside and a book sounds like a doable plan to me! Especially if there's a nicely muscled cabana boy to bring drinks. ;) Eye candy makes everything better. 8-)
We've only overlapped with love bug season once. It was definitely annoying, but fortunately that year the oppressive summer heat had started to back off by then. I'll take love bugs as a trade off for heat any day.

The poolside idea will really depend on how Nicole's friend's parents feel about it. I know that my own daughter knows her way around the world and could easily manage a day in a park without me. But if her friends' parents would prefer I be in the parks at the same time as them, I'll honor those wishes and just be a solo rider on all of my favorites. But if they're cool letting the girls go solo, I'm hanging back in the shade for sure.
Julie Fugina