Tropical hello

Keitha

Tropical hello

Post by Keitha »

May Flaum is hosting a Tropical Getaway on her FB page with challenges, videos, prizes, etc. I always enjoy her online events; she often has interesting bite-size ideas in a pressure-free environment. This is my take on the first challenge to use a leaf, tree or flower. Catherine Pooler fans may recognize the technique, which Catherine calls floating inlaid die-cuts.
Attachments
2021-03-18 19.01.13_r.jpg
2021-03-18 19.01.13_r.jpg (212.5 KiB) Viewed 359 times
mpizzazz

Re: Tropical hello

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, May Flaum, that's a name from the past. I really like the leaf with shadow. I'll check into it!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:13 am Wow, May Flaum, that's a name from the past. I really like the leaf with shadow. I'll check into it!
The leaf with the shadow is a ceramic dish I carried home from Barbados a few years ago. I put it on my table for a touch of the tropics during this event, and decided it could serve as a prop in my photo. The woodgrain in the background is a sheet of scrapbook paper. I should have sprinkled a few sequins around as well, LOL.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

What a lovely card! Did you mask the card front to get such a crisp edge with the blue paint (ink?) or is that printed paper? Is the technique to use watercolor under the die cut shape? I really like it.

I watched a MF youtube video not too long ago. I always enjoyed her work.

Your fancy background (dish & woodgrain paper) is very impressive! I would never think to do that.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am What a lovely card! Did you mask the card front to get such a crisp edge with the blue paint (ink?) or is that printed paper? Is the technique to use watercolor under the die cut shape? I really like it.
I watched a MF youtube video not too long ago. I always enjoyed her work.
Your fancy background (dish & woodgrain paper) is very impressive! I would never think to do that.

The palm tree/white is a separate layer. I die-cut the tree and used a piece of acetate to support the cutaway corner; the palm fronds extend beyond the acetate. After heat embossing the tree I glued it back down in the negative space/on top of the acetate. The blue & green is watercoloured with Distress inks on a separate piece of paper, with the green loosely where the leaves would go and the blue around it. Then I used dimensional foam to adhere the tree layer; hard to see in the photo from directly above, but the effect is the tree floats above the blue/green layer, which is stuck on a black card creating the border.
Flat lay photography intrigues me; I don't have the right set-up here for it, but enjoy playing around with the concept.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's just so pretty. I can imagine the effects of the layering IRL. Might have to go looking for her video this weekend and maybe give it a try.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:17 am It's just so pretty. I can imagine the effects of the layering IRL. Might have to go looking for her video this weekend and maybe give it a try.
Not a quick card, but worth the effort IMO. The trick is to have the right kind of die/s; you need ones that create an outline so you can see through them. CP, of course, sells ones that do - but I wanted to use something I already had.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Well, no wonder I thought it was extremely realistic and dimensional! I couldn't really work out what was going on but thought the background was a scrapbooking page with the card laid on it. Thanks for describing how you did the card.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com