Mixed media

Laurie

Mixed media

Post by Laurie »

I would like to add some mix media to my scrapbook pages. What YouTube videos would you recommend me to watch.

I would like to add:
paints (what kind)?
Alcohol inks

What are some others?
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
Keitha

Re: Mixed media

Post by Keitha »

If you want fairly quick process videos to watch, try Missy Whidden and Rebecca Moore.
If you want lengthy Lives where you're watching them do everything in real time - and getting a lot of chatter as well - you can't beat Vicki Boutin and Shimelle.
If there's a specific product you want ideas for I suggest searching for that product to see what people are doing with it.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Keitha.
North Carolina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I agree with Keitha. I can’t watch Vicki Boutin any more though. I don’t have that kind of patience. I wish I could. She teaches some great techniques.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Don't try to use Alcohol Inks on scrapbook pages... those work well on non-porous materials (like synthetic "paper") but not on actual paper or cardstock. You want watercolors, or something like Shimmerz in a little jar... or a watered-down acrylic paint... or even ink in refill bottles (the kind you'd use for re-inking your inkpads)... you could also use sprays - either as a spray or take the nozzle out and drip some of that onto your page.

And those folks are great recommendations to watch and learn.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

nchoney wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:43 am Don't try to use Alcohol Inks on scrapbook pages... those work well on non-porous materials (like synthetic "paper") but not on actual paper or cardstock. You want watercolors, or something like Shimmerz in a little jar... or a watered-down acrylic paint... or even ink in refill bottles (the kind you'd use for re-inking your inkpads)... you could also use sprays - either as a spray or take the nozzle out and drip some of that onto your page.

Debi, so far I've avoided Shimmerz. What makes them different from Twinkling H2Os? I know Twinks aren't on the market anymore - or if they are, they're hard to find - but I've got plenty in my stash.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am I agree with Keitha. I can’t watch Vicki Boutin any more though. I don’t have that kind of patience. I wish I could. She teaches some great techniques.
I agree Pam. If I really want to see what she did with a technique I fast-forward through the video to just the part I need.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:37 pm
nchoney wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:43 am Don't try to use Alcohol Inks on scrapbook pages... those work well on non-porous materials (like synthetic "paper") but not on actual paper or cardstock. You want watercolors, or something like Shimmerz in a little jar... or a watered-down acrylic paint... or even ink in refill bottles (the kind you'd use for re-inking your inkpads)... you could also use sprays - either as a spray or take the nozzle out and drip some of that onto your page.

Debi, so far I've avoided Shimmerz. What makes them different from Twinkling H2Os? I know Twinks aren't on the market anymore - or if they are, they're hard to find - but I've got plenty in my stash.
I don’t find a lot of difference. Shimmerz might be a bit more opaque?
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I just watched a video by Missy Whidden. I liked the way she used her stamps to make embellishments. I don’t have many embellishments; only those that come with kits.
North Carolina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

There are tons of posts on Pinterest about making embellies out of scrap papers, etc. I keep pinning them and mean to come back to them and then get distracte.. Squirrel!!!!!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

MK Gunn did a great series on Facebook with some in-depth instructions.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2062206 ... ?ref=share
Her videos are in the “Guides” folder.
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Pam. Loving these videos. I need to go to Hobby Lobby and get some water colors and crayons. I love how the can use those crayons to brush on.
North Carolina
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

pamcook wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:58 pm MK Gunn did a great series on Facebook with some in-depth instructions.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2062206 ... ?ref=share
Her videos are in the “Guides” folder.
Just watched how she used sprays with packaging sleeves. Going to try that.
North Carolina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Laurie, that’s a widely used technique right now. She gives some really good tips on how to be successful with it. Personally, I think the best results are when they use layers of colors. It’s tempting to really lay down a lot of color from the beginning. Trust me. I’m never happy with how that turns out. I tend to use Distress Inks and mists. While I have a nice set of watercolor crayons, I never think to pull them out of the drawer.
Use some inexpensive white paper and have fun practicing. The practice papers make gorgeous card fronts or use them with punches & dies. If you layer pretty papers, ephemera, and photos, you’ll hide a multitude of “mistakes”!
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I noticed that in a video I watched that pictures covered a lot of the mixed media work. I agree that mixing pretty paper looks great too.
North Carolina