Photoshop Reference Text

LadyJaine

Photoshop Reference Text

Post by LadyJaine »

After going to the library several times and looking through books, I finally went to Borders (with a 30% off coupon) and got a reference for CS3. It's "Photoshop CS3 Bible", by Laurie Ulrich Fuller and Robert C. Fuller. ISBN 978-0-470-11541-1. List price $39.00. There is a CD-ROM included, but I haven't pulled it out and looked at it yet. The book is massive, has 1164 pages and covers more stuff about CS3 than I will ever think about using.

This book is big and it cost a lot. I didn't want to waste my money on it. I'd bought a CS3 reference for photographers and it wasn't helping me with digital scrapping at all. I checked for of a couple of things that I've heard about and wanted to learn to do in CS3. The other texts I looked at either didn't cover them at all, or barely mentioned them in passing. This text covers everything, as far as I can tell. It's targeted at people who have to use CS3 for a job, but it doesn't assume you've worked with CS2, PS7 or any other graphics application. Everything is explained. Everything.

Will it take me a lot of time to dig through this book and suck out information that I can use in digital scrapping? Certainly. It's going to be worth every minute. Instead of trying lots of things that don't work, I'm going to be able to select something that will work and fine tune it to exactly what I want. So far, I've learned how to manage my palettes and a lot of keyboard shortcuts. I've learned stuff that the free tutorials don't mention because they would require a separate tutorial all on their own, like why and when to convert to CMYK from RGB and why use RGB in the first place.
pbp908

Re: Photoshop Reference Text

Post by pbp908 »

I may have to order that one. I used Classroom In a Book and it taught me a lot. Other things I've stumbled onto on my own. Can't wait to see how you apply it!

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
LadyJaine

Post by LadyJaine »

I've tried to learn software or languages through Classroom in a Book texts and they don't work for me. I do much better with those massive, thick references, like the CUE books. Don't even get me started on the 'For Dummies' texts! They skip so many explanations that I get extremely frustrated with them. I have even thrown one across the room, screaming, "Why!" at it.

But that's why there are so many different instruction manuals. Everyone learns differently.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I totally agree that everyone learns differently. I have a couple of Photoshop books that are of no use to me at all - probably really good for people wanting to re-touch photos or do serious photo manipulation - but that's not actually what I want to do most of the time. My photos aren't great, but I'm generally happy with them.

I've found that with software, I'm actually better with a live class, or a video tutorial. If someone is going to be teaching me, I need to be looking at the same screen they are, and following along doing what they're doing. I've tried reading something in a manual, then trying to go to my computer and do it, and it's like I never read it at all. Trying to do what the book is saying just doesn't make sense.

Jean - I'm hoping you've found that one magic reference tool that makes you happy. That makes all the difference in the world. Unfortunately for me, with learning software, a book will just never be the answer.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
tichwoli

Post by tichwoli »

When I got CS3 I went to Borders and picked up a selection of 3 tomes which are permanently located on my desk.

Photoshop CS3 Essential Skills by Mark Galer and Philip Andrews

How to cheat in Photoshop CS3 by Caplin

Adobe Photoshop CS3 A-Z by Philip Andrews

All three are excellent references and I have sat in on some tutorials by Adobe as well.

On the learning curve, I suppose I am doing quite well and like to fiddle about a lot on my own and learn something new every day or so. I do get those "Eureka" moments once in a while and when they happen I have to repeat the same process many times so that I don't forget how I did whatever it was.

I am loving the learning experience and I know that my skills are growing but there is still lots and lots to learn.
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

How about a PSE recommendation? :anyone:

I can't play at work, but I could read on my lunch hour. A PSE book might be just the thing.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Would you believe that I just found the eyelash brush? :lol:

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com