Scoring tools

Save some $ Find out what works
jfugina

Scoring tools

Post by jfugina »

I need advice on scoring. I have a Fiskars personal trimmer thing with a swing-out arm, and I have a scoring blade that I can put in it. However, without fail, if I line a card up at 4.25 and score, it does not come out folded exactly in half, and usually, the fold is crooked. So I'm looking for something that does a better job. I want to try some tutorials that appear to require very precise score marks in order to work properly.

So, if you have something that works well, what is it, and where can I buy one?

Thanks in advance!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Paula

Re: Scoring tools

Post by Paula »

Julie, I use the Score-it and love it. It was a bit pricey, I bought the 12x12, but I use it all the time, and was well worth the price.
nancine

Post by nancine »

I have a Scor-it also... pricey but I love it. It can do way more than score your cards too! I haven't used the ScorPal, but a friend of mine likes hers - although I've heard some people don't like it.

I have the full sized Scor-it, bought my Mom the small one as she only does cards and after showing her how to use it she loves it. I got mine through CS during a great sale once, so don't have a source for these.
Jenni Benni

Post by Jenni Benni »

Julie...if you are just scoring cards, I use the bone. I love it.

I also have the score tool for my cuttlebug and that works well.
Jenni Benni
Mom to 3 sweet little boys.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks gals. I've seen the scor-pal website, but without being able to find it in major retail outlets (web or lss), I'm not sure if I should trust it. I'll see if I can find a scor-it listing somewhere.

Jenni - I've actually tried using a bone tool, and my results are actually worse than the stupid fiskars. :roll: I've tried running a bone folder down the side of a ruler, and can't keep the ruler from sliding. I guess I'm just a gal who needs a fool-proof tool. :lol:

OK.. off to try to find a source for a scor-it.
Julie Fugina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Julie look for the ScorPal you can use it to score may ways, directions. I almost bought the ScorIt but didn't care for the ridge. I have been extremely pleased with the ScorPal
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Cheryl - did you order it online? I have a thing about tools - I tend to like to see them in person before I buy them. I can't find anything on their web site about where I might be able to find one. I'm probably going to Archivers tonight to see what they carry. I'm sure I can do better than Archivers for pricing, but I need to see something in person. The pictures I'm seeing on the web sites leave me with some questions.
Julie Fugina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Julie Archivers carry both of them I got mine at Archivers. LOVE it. I can do so many fold with it.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

I have both. I've had Scor-Pal for awhile, I got it online, but can't remember where. I like it for cards. I found it harder to use for projects, particularly CS projects. I recently saw Scor It for a good price on craftysteals.com - it was a one day special so I ordered it. I've used it for two projects so far and I really like it. It is sturdier than the ScorPal but to be honest, the ScorPal is easy to grab for cards. It also has more card options but I haven't tried most of those. Either one will be a good improvement over the Fiskars, which I also have.
Sharonv

Post by Sharonv »

I have the score pal just because I saw it and wanted it... Anyone else like that... LOL

But the scoring when I can be bothered getting it out is precise.
I usually use my trusted fingernail - EG fold card in half and run my nail down the side or else the boning tool.

The scor-pal has some great uses besides just using it for cards...
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks everyone! I had a Michaels coupon so I tried them last night - they didn't have a single thing. I'm going to try Archivers this weekend, as well as a local shop that is only 30 minutes away from me - thanks for the PM Pat-czap! I never even knew that place existed, and it looks really cool.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the ability to make better folds. :-)
Julie Fugina
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

jfugina wrote:Thanks everyone! I had a Michaels coupon so I tried them last night - they didn't have a single thing. I'm going to try Archivers this weekend, as well as a local shop that is only 30 minutes away from me - thanks for the PM Pat-czap! I never even knew that place existed, and it looks really cool.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the ability to make better folds. :-)
Michael's...don't even get me started. If they got a new innovative product in their SB section, I just might rejoice. They are good for somethings, but on the whole....

Enjoy RPS...I sent you another PM.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA