Selling or Gifting Digital Kits

LadyJaine

Selling or Gifting Digital Kits

Post by LadyJaine »

I know, you aren't supposed to do this. But, I have given digital kits as a gift. I purchased them, downloaded them, never used them for myself (only for making samples for the recipient, which I also gave to her), and then gave them away. I admit, I've got back-up copies of the kits, but they are in a separate directory and I have never, ever used them. If my friend had purchased them and then had issues with her copies, I know that many stores and designers will allow another download, especially if she had documentation of the purchase.

If I were to purchase a book or a CD, then sell the copy of that book or CD used, it's a legal transaction. I bought it, I read it or listened to it. I sold it when I was done with it. I no longer have a copy. The problem with digital stuff is that it's so easy to keep a copy. But there are a few of us out there who wouldn't use that copy, or would completely delete their copy.

In a case like that, would you buy a used digital scrapping kit, or would you sell a kit? I couldn't buy from a person I didn't trust. Not that I think I wouldn't get what I had paid for, but I would need to trust that the person selling the kit would delete or stop using their copy.
bethrich

Re: Selling or Gifting Digital Kits

Post by bethrich »

Jean, personally, I wouldn't go near that. I totally understand the concept of selling a CD or book and how this *should* be similar. But you can't trust anyone and piracy is a very thin line. If I were gifting, I would pay or give a gift certificate, then let the recipient do their own download. These designers do some fabulous work and generally the kits are relatively inexpensive, so I'm OK with hoarding unused kits! :D
jfugina

Re: Selling or Gifting Digital Kits

Post by jfugina »

That's a tough one for me too. On one hand, I'm all about recycling and RAKing and the like for things I've never used, or are done with. However, like you said, it's so easy to keep a kit around rather than delete it. I'm sure I'd never offer to re-sell anything I've purchased. I kind of put it in perspective when I think about the fact that I buy a $5 coffee several times per week, and these kits are often less than that, so why bother try to recover the cost. And I don't tend to give away copies of things I've purchased. I have however done some collaborative downloading for things like build-a-kit things where I missed a few pieces and someone else missed other pieces.

So I guess depending on who you talk to, even the latter example is crossing the line. I don't tend to worry about stuff like that, but I don't think I'd ever try to buy a kit from someone other than a designer (or a store they sell at), and I wouldn't ever try to resell anything I'd purchased.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO