Lovely Layered Card Class

ScrappinJen

Re: Lovely Layered Card Class

Post by ScrappinJen »

Very cool cards. Doesn't it feel good to be doing your homework!
nancine

Post by nancine »

Those are great Farley - I kind of thought Shari's class would be a good one!
I'll sign up when I know I have time to do my homework :lol:
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

beautiful cards
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Lovely cards Farley.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

The On Line Card Classes are going
to be doing one on watercoloring
for their next offering.That might
be interesting, too
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Lookin' good, Farley! I almost signed up for this: me, who doesn't make cards. Are you discovering any new techniques?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:Lookin' good, Farley! I almost signed up for this: me, who doesn't make cards. Are you discovering any new techniques?

Thanks Keitha. I've only listened to two lessons. So far I like lesson one best using stencils for vague backgrounds and also stamping with metallic Distress Paints though not particularly new. But what was a great tip was making a puddle of the Distress Paint on a craft mat and then using a Cut & Dry square to dab into the paint and then apply it to the stamps to get a nice clear image. It worked quite well.

Second lesson is on two ways to collage with paper. First way is very organized and somewhat rigid. I tried that one and it was okay. Second way is more traditional with tearing assorted papers and tissue to cover a card base. It didn't grab me at all. Maybe I'll try that later. Meantime I will listen to lesson three and see where that takes me.

I'm glad this is a go at your own pace kind of class or I wouldn't get anything done.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I made myself do lesson 2 after all. It's all about paper collages. Not my thing exactly but I gave it a go. Now that I've done these two cards I want to try it again. Particularly this organized one that is first. Shari's point to this card was to use a 6x6 paper pad (really a great way to use up the pads) and by using 5 patterns create an organized collage. I pretty much followed her pattern and then added my own embellishments. My first realization after I had already glued down 3 or 4 strips was that I wished I had edged them all with ink of some kind. They would have popped out more I think. Next time for that. About the "thank you"...I am somewhat proud of that since I FINALLY figured out how to use the text feature on Sure Cuts A Lot for my KNK and WELD the letters together! YAY me! Now I can use my fonts and create my own word die cuts. I used a Copic marker to color the words to match the wine color in the print.

The second card was what I think of as a more traditional collage by tearing the paper pieces and layering them. The funny thing was I didn't have the matte gel medium that was exactly "fresh". One jar I couldn't even get the lid off. The second jar opened but it was like cement. I ignored that fact and used it anyway. What a mess. But after it dried it wasn't too bad (just a tad lumpy) so I added embellishments to that also. Note the "honey"...that is a die swap from Marianne (I think?) which I thought was fun for the honeycomb and bee patterned paper which led me to make the two bee dies.
Attachments
IMG_4019.jpeg
IMG_4019.jpeg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 899 times
IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4020.jpeg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 899 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

This looks like a great class, Farley. Lots of very different techniques to try. Love the cards you've made so far.
Kathryn.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Great job on both of them Farley. I like that you inked the edges on the second one.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

very nice cards
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Fun cards!
I tend to make collage cards over stamped cards. I'm such a messy stamper.
You're making beautiful pieces of art.
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

These are great. You are exploring many different techniques.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Thanks everyone for your great comments. I am having fun with this making it a slow paced class.

Cheryl the inked edges on the second card was an attempt to hide bad things. I even swiped the whole piece with Distress Ink to blur the booboos. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I like those both very much and even though the second one is torn strips, it is an orderly collage in rows. The word "honey" is not from me, Farley. Cute that it inspired the Bee theme!

I don't know about inking all those edges on the first one. That's a lot of inking. Maybe a darker base than white would have helped the edges stand out. You'll just have to try it again in different ways ;)
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com