10 Minute Card

paddlegal

10 Minute Card

Post by paddlegal »

Really, I spent 10 minutes on this (I needed it fast to get into mail in time) and as a result I may sign up for that OCC watercolor class. I need help. :lol: I started out ok but then I started to muddy up the water. But then mud is appropriate here.

It's a mix of Zig water color brush markers and Distress inks for the "painted" parts.

I signed up today for a 2 day Gull ID class. I'm really excited about it and made this card to send my check in to the teacher. I don't have any Gull stamps but these shorebirds will have to do.
Attachments
20160126_162202-1-640x549.jpg
20160126_162202-1-640x549.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 796 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
jmp1022

Re: 10 Minute Card

Post by jmp1022 »

lovely card
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

What a beautiful card, Farley. I like the way you have used the "grass" stamp in the foreground. It gives a great sense of perspective. Oh, and the shorebirds are great too!
Kathryn.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Love the way you did the water there Farley! Good looking for sure.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, I love those little shorebirds scurrying along the edge of the water! As for the mud, the water does look different where it is so shallow at the water's edge.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

A very happy accident! I think it looks perfect and those shore birds are so cute! I love watching them run back and forth on the beach.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I see nothing wrong at all...it is lovely!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Farley,
this is absolutely beautiful.
Love it!
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Great card Farley - your water doesn't look muddy at all. However, the trick to keeping your colours from muddying is to make sure your first layer is dry before you go in with the next colour. Of course distress inks are water-reactive, so you'd need to seal them to keep them from reactivating.

The Gull ID class sounds interesting. I wish I had more patience to scan a colony of gulls looking for the oddities, as often that patience is rewarded. We have mostly Ring-billed and Herring gulls locally - although Ontario has some of the best places in the world to find rare gulls; 21 species have been recorded here. After the class I'd love to hear the most interesting thing you learned.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:Oh, I love those little shorebirds scurrying along the edge of the water! As for the mud, the water does look different where it is so shallow at the water's edge.

Oh gosh everyone, thanks! I'm thinking it looks better in a photo than real life :lol:

Marianne that is true, colors are different at the waters muddy edge. I think I am feeling squeamish sending a bird card to one of our areas best pro birders who I've never met but know by reputation. But then I doubt he knows anything about stamping even if he's also a good photographer.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Thanks Keitha. I've done some watercolor classes and I was telling myself to slow down and let some of it dry first. I knew what the Distress Ink would do when I started blending over the still damp watercolor. But I just blundered on. :roll:

I've taken one other Gull class from a great birder several years ago. But it just didn't take for me. I'm hoping a different point of view will help me along. There has been a reported Glaucous Gull hanging out in the preserve where I go regularly. On a whim Monday I went looking for it. Spent a good two hours hunting the area where others had seen it. No luck. As I was driving away I noted a a group I had already checked in a different area and bingo, looked closely once more and there it was. So white standing out from all the others! Life Bird! :D
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

paddlegal wrote:...I've taken one other Gull class from a great birder several years ago. But it just didn't take for me. I'm hoping a different point of view will help me along. There has been a reported Glaucous Gull hanging out in the preserve where I go regularly. On a whim Monday I went looking for it. Spent a good two hours hunting the area where others had seen it. No luck. As I was driving away I noted a a group I had already checked in a different area and bingo, looked closely once more and there it was. So white standing out from all the others! Life Bird! :D
*Like*
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

She is going to love it!
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Remember this, Farley???

"I really don't know gulls at all."

I'm giggling.

I'm thinking now you do!!