February 2016 - 30 Day Color Challenge

paddlegal

February 2016 - 30 Day Color Challenge

Post by paddlegal »

Yes, Kathy is doing her coloring challenge for the month of February. I know we all are doing multiple challenges here and on other sites but hey...what's one more :shock: I know I won't do every day but I'll do my best to do what I can. Just 10 minutes a day of coloring is doable.

I have some pre stamped and embossed images plus coloring pages to play with on days I can't do something more original and creative.

Anyone want to play along with me?

http://www.thedailymarker.com/2016/01/c ... e-details/
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Re: February 2016 - 30 Day Color Challenge

Post by mpizzazz »

I'll try it! I've had something on my desk for several days and am adding to it each day already. I'd like to drag out a lot of other coloring mediums to give them a turn, too.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
nancine

Post by nancine »

I plan on doing it again. I find it gives me a good reason to be a little creative every day!

I think this weekend I'll get some images stamped and ready to color - I have a few things to do each day this weekend so stamping in-between might just work out!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Farley, I haven't paid much attention to how it works. If you were doing 10 minutes a day on a big piece and it took a week to complete, would you post progress each day or just show it at the end? I'm assuming there is somewhere to post to or to link back to her website.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:Farley, I haven't paid much attention to how it works. If you were doing 10 minutes a day on a big piece and it took a week to complete, would you post progress each day or just show it at the end? I'm assuming there is somewhere to post to or to link back to her website.

I would definitely show your progress each day. The best place to post for this is on Instagram which is what I do as do most. If you don't want to do that, you can use her linky she provides each day of the blog post. If you look at the link I posted she explains what to do for both situations but she prefers Instagram since it's easier for her to comment on everyone's art. She is really good about doing that too.

Kathy posts a challenge each day, sometimes with a video. You don't have to do what she is doing though. Her main goal is to get us coloring and exploring different mediums. She does tend to stick with Copics, watercolor markers and pencils mainly. She is quite good at what she does.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I think that's why I always get so discouraged. So many people are posting completed works of art and I struggle just to get a little coloring done. What's wrong with me? I think I will give it a try again but I'm not promising any success. It's easy to apply it to whatever project (card or layout) I'm working on. But as I say, my stumbling block is thinking I need to post a completed project every day. Never gonna happen, my friend.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I'm with you Jen! Coloring is one thing I really, really have trouble with so I doubt I'll do much coloring.
ScrappinJen wrote:I think that's why I always get so discouraged. So many people are posting completed works of art and I struggle just to get a little coloring done. What's wrong with me? I think I will give it a try again but I'm not promising any success. It's easy to apply it to whatever project (card or layout) I'm working on. But as I say, my stumbling block is thinking I need to post a completed project every day. Never gonna happen, my friend.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Today's first challenge is up. I like how Kathy colored her die cuts. The card itself is a bit involved but her coloring technique looks fun so I'll at least give that part a try today sometime. Meanwhile I've torn out a coloring book page and spent 5 minutes coloring it. Very little to show for but I did post it on Instagram anyway. I admit I found it peaceful since I wasn't working on a deadline...just my own enjoyment. Try it!
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

My goal is simply to color each day. I've got two postcard books and several 'adult' coloring books, as well as other coloring books. I was going to stamp images and color them, but decided to just use what I had at hand.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That card would take me all day to make it. I like anything that looks like a tunnel card or book. It seemed more about making the card than the coloring.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:That card would take me all day to make it. I like anything that looks like a tunnel card or book. It seemed more about making the card than the coloring.

I agree Marianne. But I did like how she colored the die cut and that is what I focused on. No time to do the other bit nice as it was.

This exercise showed me how dried up my Distress Markers are. I'm about to dump most of them. But then I've had them for a few years. I'm in the market for some non alcohol markers.

Meanwhile tonight I got out two different sets of dies to color and create this card. I used my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and a lot of water. I did add some brown to the leaves using Distress ink and a sponge applicator which I like the look of. The yellow center on the bottom flower isn't as bright as it looks here.
Attachments
20160201_221702~2-480x605.jpg
20160201_221702~2-480x605.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 706 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

Assuming I can get the phone to cooperate, here's my day 1. I actually posted the stem and leaves yesterday, and did the sunflower tonight. I'm working on shading and depth, so even this postcard is taking me more than one day. Enjoying it, though! Hmm. Won't let me attach from the phone because the image is too big. Grrr.
Monica

Post by Monica »

This is pre-day 1:

And day 1:

paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Really nice coloring and shading, Monica. Love this print. Is it from a coloring book? I'm becoming addicted to those books. Bought one today at the grocery store! Ha!

BTW, there are photo resizing apps available making it pretty easy to post photos here from your phone or tablet.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

It's a postcard book of images from Secret Garden by Johanna Basford. I got it from Amazon. Her books are what really started the adult coloring book craze. Don't know that I'll use them as postcards, but they certainly be used as card fronts!

I'll look into the apps. I don't tend to post pictures straight from my phone, aside from Instagram, so I've not bothered to find one before this. I opted not to put Facebook on it because I didn't like all the access they wanted for the app.