Alternatives to alcohol ink markers

New tricks to amaze your friends
pamcook

Alternatives to alcohol ink markers

Post by pamcook »

Any ideas? I say a technique I thought would be fun to try but I don’t own any Copics (or any like that). Any thoughts or am I going to have to break down and buy a few? The alternative would have to work on vellum.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Re: Alternatives to alcohol ink markers

Post by Monica »

You can use the alcohol inks from the bottles, depending on what you're trying to do. I have all the TH ones in a palette to use with one of his refillable alcohol ink pens that I have blending solution in. Ranger also just came out this year with a brush set for the alcohol inks, which hopefully won't ruin those brushes like it has a couple of my other ones.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Monica

Post by Monica »

There are also the Clean Color brush markers... I believe Farley has those and a few others as well.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

I know Jennifer used to use Sharpies for some stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jKsXsJzok
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My Tuesday Morning got some alcohol marker sets in this week. I picked up a couple assortment to play with.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I have a Tuesday Morning close to me and last week I jokingly said I needed to get a job there and the cashier got all excited and said they have an opening and she saw I bought scrapbook stuff and we got to talking about scrapbooking etc and she said I could talk to the manager etc and I was like WHOA, that sounds like a commitment to me and I’ve been there and done that in that s***hole I worked at for 36 years, I’m loving my retirement and doing what I want when I want, now if I could work PRN that might be different! Anyway I LOVE my Tuesday Morning!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

You could also just use a brush with the AIs and blending solution or plain old alcohol.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

All very helpful! Thanks.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Nancy is correct...I do have the Kuretake Clean Brush markers and they are terrific if you want to do a water color technique. But if you’re wanting to do some coloring that involves blending, either alcohol or water markers might be best. I have Copics and I recently fell into acquiring some Altenew AI markers which are quite nice. BUT...Tombow markers are also excellent and they are water based and have a blender pen that works quite well if you use watercolor paper for blending techniques. Regular card stocks will pill with the Tombows.

Pam what is the technique you are hoping to do? That really is the question.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It’s this one. I would love to be able to watercolor as beautifully as she does and then she posts this. I’ve never felt I needed Copics and never enjoyed working with alcohol inks. Darn her anyway! :lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLn3e1aC5IY&t=303s
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:It’s this one. I would love to be able to watercolor as beautifully as she does and then she posts this. I’ve never felt I needed Copics and never enjoyed working with alcohol inks. Darn her anyway! :lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLn3e1aC5IY&t=303s

Oh of course...I should have known this was what you were talking about. I went through their blog hop this morning. Really, I hate to say this but alcohol markers are the way to go with this because of their permanence. Water based markers I think would smear and not really dry on vellum. But I also remember in one of my classes I took from Tim Holtz, he did this style of painting on the back of vellum too using his bottles of AI and small felt dabblers to apply the colors. So that is another way you could try this. I made my own felt dabbers by using very small wood blocks, sticky backed Velcro and felt. Worked great. You just squirt a little AI onto the felt and start dabbing the color on. Very watercolorish looking if you don’t mind not staying in the lines.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks Farley. Maybe if I wait long enough, the desire will go away! If they were so danger expensive! Of course, I could go look through my stash to see if I do have any AI left...
Pam Cook #48
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I checked my bin of Prismacolor markers and they’re alcohol ink! Here’s a sample. The ink dries too quickly but blend easily on vellum. I love the watercolor effect and now just need to find a good stamp to use (from my stash).

Left image is the back - the side you work on. The right image is what you see on the embossed side.

Thanks again, everyone!
52A1ED31-36C3-4296-B2D5-B5EE4CBEA0C6.jpeg
52A1ED31-36C3-4296-B2D5-B5EE4CBEA0C6.jpeg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Those turned out great!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

How funny and great you had AI markers! Your flowers are seriously stunning.
FARLEY in Sacramento