Another Review - Gemini Jr

Save some $ Find out what works
paddlegal

Another Review - Gemini Jr

Post by paddlegal »

I’ve been thinking on this machine for a number of months and every time I go into HL I spot it on sale. So finally today I just went for it. The reviews I read were predominantly positive. I tried ALL functions and was happy with each one except using an embossing folder.

Die cutting with thin dies and what Gemini calls multi-media die cutting works great. Also embossing with dies worked well. But when I use the embossing folder that came with the machine it went badly. The machine pulls in the sandwich but then the top slides on through leaving the bottom pad and the embossing folder temporarily stuck. Then it SPITS (ejects) out backwards that plate and folder!

Other than that I am very pleased with the cutting which was the main reason for it. It’s pressure does a very thorough and clean cut and as you can see the detailed dies look great. It also takes up much less space than the Big Shot Plus on my desk.

Off to trouble shoot the embossing mystery.
Attachments
EB52ACB7-57DC-4D09-AF41-C3863B1E4FE2.jpeg
EB52ACB7-57DC-4D09-AF41-C3863B1E4FE2.jpeg (174.52 KiB) Viewed 353 times
3CF1FD41-92CD-414E-9965-88CB97A841FC.jpeg
3CF1FD41-92CD-414E-9965-88CB97A841FC.jpeg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 353 times
BDC86B52-E104-4365-8964-09F8A3F0703A.jpeg
BDC86B52-E104-4365-8964-09F8A3F0703A.jpeg (206.06 KiB) Viewed 353 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: Another Review - Gemini Jr

Post by pamcook »

You got some nice cuts using very intricate dies. It seems like a nice machine - glad you’re happy with it!
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Beautiful cuts with the thin dies. But what the heck is "multi media" die cutting? Is that a cut file?
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I’ve got the regular Gemini and love it but the embossing mat is seriously flimsy and needs replacing constantly, not happy about that. I voiced my complaints about it to deaf ears too! :|
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:Beautiful cuts with the thin dies. But what the heck is "multi media" die cutting? Is that a cut file?

Pam, I had to read the manual to understand Multi Media die cutting. Not a cut file. It’s for cutting multiple layers of paper or fabric, hence ”multi-media”. A tag die came with the machine that is a bit thicker that can cut through multiple layers. The blade is deeper.

Debbie, I rarely feel the need to dry emboss a die but tried it. It worked “okay” but I thought I was going to cut the embossing pad. Yes, it is flimsy. My problem is running an embossing folder through it. I used the embossing folder that came with the Gemini but it just separates and half goes through the machine and the remaining layers ejects back out!

I am just playing around with it tonight and tomorrow I’ll google the problem and see if there’s any answers. I’m not too worried since hardly ever use my 1000s (not really 1000s) of folders. I am keeping my Big Shot Plus anyway so I have that for embossing.
FARLEY in Sacramento
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

I got one of these a couple of years ago. I haven't used it as much as I should, but it's been great for multiple cuts and for some of the heavier embossing folders that don't work so well with the Cuttlebug.
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO