Embossing Question

New tricks to amaze your friends
pbp908

Embossing Question

Post by pbp908 »

For those of you who know more about this than I do - Does embossing powder have a shelf life? I tried to use some fine gold powder this morning that I've had for ages and it took forever to melt and then was lumpy (for want of a better word) in appearance because it didn't melt evenly. I'm going to try some of the gold that Monica sent me, but I'm wondering about shelf life and if I should toss all of my old powders.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Re: Embossing Question

Post by Monica »

It really depends on the powder. I've got some that's probably 20 years old that still embosses like a dream and some that is less than 5 years old that doesn't. Try each one before you just toss them, see if any emboss well. If the plastic particles get damp that can definitely effect them.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Monica - Do you remember who makes the Jeweled Gold that you sent me? It embosses like a dream!
Pam P.

Monica

Post by Monica »

Stampendous made it years ago under their Stamp-n Stuff embossing powder line. No idea if they still sell that exact powder.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I’ve had the same problem with older powders. I used to get mine at my LSS which they typically branded as their own. That means it is ancient. Once I got the TH glass matte I started embossing again and that is when I discovered that very problem. Slowly I’ve been replacing them. My old JudiKins embossing powder, however, still works like a charm. At least the ones I’ve tried. I bought heavily in JudiKins when I first started stamping. So I’m talking 20+ years old!
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

I really think it depends on the quality of the material they make the EP with, truthfully. That's why I suggested testing them. ;)
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

My white powder is now ivory. I'm going to be replacing things as soon as my pocketbook gets over all of this plumbing shock.

Monica, Stampendous still makes that one! It's on the top of my list. ;)
Pam P.

Monica

Post by Monica »

Well, cool! Stampendous used to be 'the one' for all the really cool embossing powders, and I've never had a single issue with any of their powders not embossing nicely. I'll have to look tonight at the white EP I have that's still actually white. I've had more than one 'age' on me. :lol:
Monica

Post by Monica »

Hey Pam... the Pearlustre EP from Stampendous are also really gorgeous. I'll try to remember to pull out a couple tonight and do a practice emboss of them, but last time I used one it embossed perfectly and the shimmer on those is divine.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Great! Let me know.
Pam P.

Monica

Post by Monica »

Didn't get to it last night, Pam. I'll try tonight.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

All this talk of EP makes me want to take mine for a spin. Over the years I've occasionally found one that wouldn't work; I think it's more a question of original quality than age. Good to know about the Stampendous Golds; I was a huge fan of Ranger's Ancient Golds line but they're discontinued. Now I want to SWATCH all my embossing powders.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:All this talk of EP makes me want to take mine for a spin. Over the years I've occasionally found one that wouldn't work; I think it's more a question of original quality than age. Good to know about the Stampendous Golds; I was a huge fan of Ranger's Ancient Golds line but they're discontinued. Now I want to SWATCH all my embossing powders.

Swatching the embossing inks really is a great idea. Since I started embossing again I am clueless of what still works and what doesn’t. I have a pile of JudiKins in different colors and textures that I need to re-evaluate. I have been also accumulating recently WOW embossing powders and quite happy with them.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I dug through my embossing powder drawer and found some Stampendous White and White Pearls. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I did find that my tinted embossing powder turns everything a different color, so it's going in the garbage. I think I'll stick with the Versamark for the time being.
Pam P.

Monica

Post by Monica »

Versamark has been my go-to for embossing ink since it first came out. I may finally have time tomorrow to swatch those embossing powders from Stampendous and see if they still work. I have a drawer full of EP from Lindy's Stamp Gang, all of hem two-toned. That company is based in Ephrata, like 3 hours from me, and I like to buy local. ;) DId place an order today to get new black EP though. I'm almost completely out!