Merry Christmas???

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pbp908

Merry Christmas???

Post by pbp908 »

Nope, not shopping. That's done.

I can't cook. (No cracks about my culinary expertise, please.) Let me 'splain, Lucy.

The good news is that I have counters and a new sink. The bad news is that I have counters and a new sink. Never having renovated a kitchen, I had no idea that you can't trust installers. I cleaned out tons of stuff in my lower cabinets and sent it to Habitat reStore. Small appliances, dishes, bowls, canning jars - you name it. Almost 40 years of accumulation. I even matched the lids to the plastic containers! But I digress. I did all of that work and when the installers came I asked if I needed to do anything about what I had left in those pristine cabinets. "Oh, no. They'll be fine." Yeah, right. Saw dust and granite dust everywhere. Couldn't do a thing about it as I had no working sink. The plumber finally came and hooked up the new sink, which caused an argument between me and George, but that's another story. (He doesn't like how I had them place the faucet and sprayer??? I'm the one who does the :censor: dishes, so I did what I need, not what he wanted.) So sink is connected and working, dishwasher now works, so I tackle cleaning, again, and replacing everything that I had removed from the counters. Spent 2 days doing that.

The new cooktop had been placed onto the new and improved counter top on the island. BUT!!!! It's gas, like the last one, None of the installers knew anything about gas so there it sits. Called the gas company Thursday and they have no idea when they can get here. WTH?????

So it's December 23, I have family coming for Christmas dinner, and I can't cook!!!! If it can't be done in the microwave, oven or InstaPot we're going to be very hungry or have an extremely limited menu.

Turkey sandwiches, anyone???

The saga continues. Friday night Adam took Chris' car to fill it up. He called me from the 7/11 and said that the brake light was on, he smelled rubber and there was smoke coming out of the rear tires. Should he fill it up? Um, no. Come home very carefully ( thankfully a 2 mile drive in a 35 mph route). When he got home, Chris asked him if he had taken the emergency brake off. "No. Didn't know it was on." Mr. Oblivious had driven Chris' car with the brake on?!? And people wonder WHY exactly I don't want him going into LE???? So Chris is driving my car back and forth to work, Adam drove his car to Charlotte to visit his other grandparents, and Chris' car is sitting still until we can have someone check his brake system. All of which means I can't go anywhere to pick up last minute grocery items. Not that I can cook them. :wtf:

I guess you have to laugh or you end up crying.

Merry Christmas to all of my PAO family! I'm sending love and happiness to each of you!

Just don't show up here expecting a big dinner! :lol:

:santa:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Re: Merry Christmas???

Post by paddlegal »

My jaw has dropped to the floor and I can’t think of any decent or helpful comment to make. :shock:

Hoping something changes and your Christmas isn’t so stressful.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Someone forgot to tell you that kitchen renos always cause major drama and take way more time and money than planned.

I'd call the people who are coming for dinner and tell them if they don't bring the food cooked and ready to serve, it's not going to happen. Don't worry about it, you can always do the meal later. How about January 25th!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Wow. Crazy times for sure. Sorry you are having to go through all of this.
Make it a pot luck and call it a day. Make what you are able to, and enjoy family time.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'm not really stressing it. I'll cook what I can using the oven, microwave and InstaPot and let the rest go. The only thing that has me puzzled is the gravy because I make a roux for it, but I'm thinking I can use the InstaPot for that. If not, maybe I still have an electric skillet that I neglected to donate.

Dinner will be what it will be.

I've actually been laughing over the entire thing because of how it all happened. George did call the gas company and they said that there's a work order for it, so maybe....

I forgot to add that my shower sprang a huge leak. so the plumber just left. :lol:

This will be a Christmas for the books!
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh goodness Pam! Come to my house and let the others fend for themselves?

There should also be local caterers who can fit you into their schedule? But - I feel like you can make a great meal with your small appliances.

You have a Merry Christmas - you will laugh about it someday. I promise.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Pam you can definitely make a roux in the Instant Pot. And heck ya, let guests bring food too!
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Sounds like you need to tell everyone it's pot luck this year!!

It'll all be wonderful once it's finished!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

A dear friend is trying to earn extra money for Christmas, and she's been doing some catering. I ordered a huge pot of chicken and dumplings from her, so I'll pop that into the microwave. Baked 2 cakes today, since the oven is working (knock on wood). I did find an electric skillet behind the large stew pots, so I'll be able to make the dressing tomorrow and gravy Christmas day. I had enough foresight to pick up frozen broccoli that's in steamer bags, so I can make the broccoli casserole. Now I have to find out how to cook the potatoes for potato salad in the InstaPot. After that's done I have to cook the turkey broth for the gravy in the InstaPot. Best. Purchase. Ever. Candied sweet potatoes will be done in the oven. George is making cheesecakes tomorrow.

I'm getting it under control, but if anyone wants anything else they have to bring it ready to just heat up in the microwave.

After this is all over I'm going to enjoy a stiff egg nog and bourbon. :drunk:

I'm looking forward to documenting all of this, because this is definitely a Christmas that needs to be remembered. :lol:
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Potatoes - put 1 - 1/2 cups water in the pot. Put a steamer basket or something in the bottom to keep the potatoes from sitting in the water. Put washed potatoes in - make sure they don't go above the "max" line in your pot. Cook on high for 11-12 minutes and allow to slow release steam for about the same amount of time. Done.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Santa's helpers are installing now!
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:happywave: :happywave:
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Wow, Pam, what a journey this month! And yay for the stovetop working!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Hooray Pam! But I’d still let people bring food too. Enjoy your new cooktop and Christmas.
FARLEY in Sacramento
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

My plumber hooked up my gas oven and cook top
when they had to be disconnected to put in the
countertop

But, it looks like you've got everything under control
with or without the cook top, too bad you couldn't use the
excuse that I can't cook because I don't have a stove
I would have used that for months :)
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken