Ink cubes?

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

Ink cubes?

Post by Keitha »

I'm considering getting a set of coordinating inks for layering stamps - which I'm reluctant to even say here having just purged a bunch of old ink pads. But I alway struggle to find coordinating shades of one colour that I like together, and while I love my go-to Distress inks the palette isn't quite right for coordinating shades of one colour. So I've two questions actually: I know a couple of you are huge Catherine Pooler fans; how would you say her inks compare to Altenew inks? And secondly, are the small ink cubes a PITA to use to get good coverage on a stamp versus a regular-sized ink pad? To my mind the size is fiddly, although the lower price point is welcome. I've had various small ink cubes in the past and honestly hardly ever used them.
paddlegal

Re: Ink cubes?

Post by paddlegal »

Great question Keitha. I have a huge collection of the Distress ink cubes and rarely touch them.

The CP inks: They come in full size and a mini which is about a 1 X 1.75 inch rectangular pad. It’s small enough for storage and the priceline is decent. I do use the 5 mini pads I have for smaller stamps and I find them useful for when I am stamping with the wreath builder and stamping platforms. But the minis are limited in colors and recently Catherine Pooler did say they do not have plans to add more of the existing colors to the minis. The larger pads however are great for layered stamping. CP inks come in two types of colors: “Party” inks are the vibrant colors and “Spa” inks are the toned down shades. They can be used within their own group or they can be mixed for a great look of depth. I have them stored by Party and Spa but I mix them up in my stamping. I do love the inks. One thing to note about CP inks is they are fast drying inks. You can heat emboss with them but you have to be prepared and act quickly. I usually use Versamark or WOW embossing inks instead. Also the CP black ink is awesome. It is permanent and once dry you can paint over it or use alcohol markers with no smearing.

I’ve been tempted often (smack me) to try a group or two of the Altenew cube sets that are perfect for layered stamping and are designed just for that. If price and colors in Altenew look good to you, I would go for a few sets.

More CP ink info: https://www.catherinepooler.com/ink/

And no I’m not getting paid by Catherine, LOL.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I just watched Jennifer McGuire's video on inks, she really does give good information. She mentioned another company is discontinuing the ink cubes; I figure there's a reason for that, and combined with the fact that I never reached for them before have ruled them out - although I might retrieve the 2 Hero Arts shadow ink cubes I recently purged. She mentioned PinkFresh and Lawn Fawn also make coordinating sets; I think comparing colours between brands is a good idea and she also said some companies make coordinating products (i.e. Gina K matching cardstock and envelopes or Altenew's matching markers). She did comment that the Altenew ink pads seem less juicy which for layering stamps might be preferable. While it would be fun to get a set from each company and compare them for myself I'm not looking to make that big an investment, so have decided I'll start with just one set to see how I like them; probably greens as every flower stamp set typically has leaves.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha, if you want to try Altenew I have some of their cube sets I can send you. I got them for layering but I never use them, and I'd be happy to send them along to you.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Monica wrote:Keitha, if you want to try Altenew I have some of their cube sets I can send you. I got them for layering but I never use them, and I'd be happy to send them along to you.
I'd love to try them Monica. Can I pay you for postage?
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I purchased several sets of the Altenew cubes for layering and they dried out very quickly. I'd go with the CP cubes.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha wrote:
Monica wrote:Keitha, if you want to try Altenew I have some of their cube sets I can send you. I got them for layering but I never use them, and I'd be happy to send them along to you.
I'd love to try them Monica. Can I pay you for postage?
Sure :D
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pbp908 wrote:I purchased several sets of the Altenew cubes for layering and they dried out very quickly. I'd go with the CP cubes.
Thanks Pam, that's good to know. Jennifer McGuire said they were less juicy, so it stands to reason they'd dry out more quickly.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I don’t like foam ink pads. So far my Altenew cubes are doing great.

Have you tried Jennifer’s layering technique using white ink? It worked really well for me and my limited ink pad collection.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote:I don’t like foam ink pads. So far my Altenew cubes are doing great.

Have you tried Jennifer’s layering technique using white ink? It worked really well for me and my limited ink pad collection.
I think whether you have a foam or felt ink pad depends on the type of ink it is; at least that's been my experience. Thanks Pam, for the reminder about that layering technique. I need to try it, although am not sure I have a white ink pad...
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yes Keitha, I’m sure you’re right about the type of ink requiring foam or felt. You should see the mess I can make with foam pads! Isn’t it wonderful all the choices we have?!

My Hero Arts “Unicorn” worked well and it may be what she uses in the tutorial.
Pam Cook #48