Update: Going Down Under

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
BekiWard@msn.com

Re: Update: Going Down Under

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

I’m also glad you arrived safely, and equally sorry you have no better view than that of tall buildings. I would be doing laundry in the sink and/or bathtub as well...$50 AU or $35 USD is more than I would want to pay...but I’m cheap.

My fingers are crossed that these two weeks pass quickly for you. Stay warm!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

mpizzazz wrote: It's about 700 miles, Pat. We think we might fly as there is a threat that Queensland might close its border since virus cases are ramping up in other states. If it closes before we get out of quarantine then we will be looking for somewhere to rent here in Sydney until we can get into QLD. Interesting times!

Does your brother have a blog?
Marion, my brother in law, sends detailed emails/photos to family and friends. No blog.

Hope the border remains open!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Day 5 of Quarantine- The hotel we are staying in is the Park Royal Darling Harbour and they are doing a fantastic job of keeping us occupied and happy. Almost every day there is some little surprise. We just had a midmorning smoothie that was unexpected. Yesterday they gave out coloring pages and colored pencils for a coloring contest. The winner got a bottle of wine and wine glass last night.

The food is pretty good considering they are catering hundreds of meals-lots of fresh veggies, salads, etc for lunch or soup and dinners are a hot meal. Lots of chicken and a bit of beef. Ray has taken photos of all the food and they are on his blog. http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2020/07/qua ... -food.html
There is an Asian influence to many of the dishes. Breakfast can be the worst meal when we get Coco Pops but there is also yoghurt and fruit and we can have Robin's muesli, fruit and milk.

They started a Facebook page for the Quarantiners and people are posting photos from their windows, their food, what exercises they are doing, someone did a Zoom yoga class. Some are really enjoying it, saying it's like working from home AND someone else brings you 3 meals a day! Since we are all stuck in our rooms, it's been nice to feel we're not in this alone.

Queensland is closing their border to people from Sydney tomorrow due to some virus hotspots in certain areas. Those of us who want to get to Brisbane might be able to be taken directly to the airport when we are released from quarantine and put on planes to fly up there. It will mean we will have no contact or time with Robin after quarantine. But it could all change in another week.

Time to stand up and do a few laps around the room.
Aussie Winter Day from our window
Aussie Winter Day from our window
P1230586small.JPG (77.83 KiB) Viewed 256 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Sounds like you are making the best of it! Did you win the colouring contest?
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

I’m curious, like Debbie. I hope you won the coloring contest ‘cause...WINE!

And I had to smile when you mentioned Coco Puffs...thinking back to my açaí bowl with cacao nibs at re(create)! ;)
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

BekiWard@msn.com wrote:I’m curious, like Debbie. I hope you won the coloring contest ‘cause...WINE!

And I had to smile when you mentioned Coco Puffs...thinking back to my açaí bowl with cacao nibs at re(create)! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ve enjoyed Ray’s blog again. I read to current posts and then jump around to revisit his other travels.

If you wanted, could you drive to QLD?
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

From what I've read and the way that Michael (my friend in Oz) explained it to me, the only way to cross into QL after they close the border is to have substantial proof that they haven't stopped anywhere after leaving quarantine, which would be near impossible considering they'd have to stop for bathroom and gas breaks. Driving distance is 578 miles. :shock: I'd choose the flight!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pbp908 wrote:From what I've read and the way that Michael (my friend in Oz) explained it to me, the only way to cross into QL after they close the border is to have substantial proof that they haven't stopped anywhere after leaving quarantine, which would be near impossible considering they'd have to stop for bathroom and gas breaks. Driving distance is 578 miles. :shock: I'd choose the flight!
That's what I imagined would be the case.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I too assume, Marianne, that you won the coloring contest. I know you did the best one! I've been reading Ray's blog also and enjoying it and his comments. His observations are great. Keeping my fingers crossed for your quick and easy crossing after quarantine. :happy94: :happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

No, I didn't win the coloring contest. I didn't even finish my coloring by the deadline, I just wanted to color and enjoy it. They gave us to 2 designs so Ray could do one but I did the other one this morning.

Before QLD closed the border yesterday, we were to go directly to the airport from the quarantine hotel, trouble is our checkout time is 4-6 pm and the flights that night were cancelled. NSW will put you in a non-quarantine hotel overnight but that is not following the QLD rules and we can't sit at the airport all night. And, Pam is right, we can't really drive the whole way without stopping for food or bathroom breaks. It's too far. Ray is going to call some of the offices tomorrow to see what we can do. We really don't want to do another two week quarantine in QLD which would cost us about $3000 US.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Even though you are there, you’re not ‘There’ yet! Must be frustrating.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Wow, talk about being between a rock and a hard spot. I hope Ray can get some answers that will help you out and not have to go through another quarantine. It's great that caution is being used but the way it's going it sounds like everything is backing up which could cause a whole new set of problems for Australia.

Keeping my best thoughts for you two.

:happy94: :happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh no.
We’ll keep hoping it will work out in your favor. I realize rules are rules but maybe they can find another option. :happy94:
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Wow! I hope it all works out for you both soon Marianne! :happy94:
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Update for everyone. We only have some temporary internet for now.

It's weird here in Queensland, life seems so normal. They are very keen on social distancing and size of groups and contact tracing info in shops and cafes, etc, but very little mask wearing. Very few cases which is why they have closed the borders to other states.

Monday was a long day. Getting out of quarantine at 5:30 am to make out 7am flight. Getting into QLD was slow, paperwork in triplicate, but we had no problem. Rented an SUV for all our luggage, met a friend for lunch for an hour then drove the 4 hours to Urangan, got the keys, bought food and got to the apartment to find an unplugged fridge that we could not figure out how to turn on.

Tuesday Ray found some temporary internet which keeps dropping off. We met our neighbors who helped Ray get the refrigerator moved out and plugged in. The fridge fits tightly into a recessed area. The neighbors are the parents of our tenant who moved out in Jun so they knew how things work. They are very friendly and helpful with recommendations for doctors, dentist, handyman, etc. Then we went out and bought a car, a Honda Fit like we were leasing in the US, got the paperwork for our Aussie Driver's Licenses underway, bought cleaning and washing products and toilet paper (can you imagine someone moving out and taking the TP off the holders, there was nothing when we arrived, luckily Ray carries some and I had some tissues),

Today we will have to try to join Medicare so Ray can get to a doctor about his infusions. He started the process online during quarantine but it seems to be stuck in the red tape of government. More shopping for things we forgot yesterday.

Taking time to enjoy the gorgeous view of the water, sunrises, sunsets, and birds. Our neighbor feeds the birds and knows all their names and she is a quilter.
Attachments
Wednesda Morning.JPG
Wednesda Morning.JPG (34.22 KiB) Viewed 158 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels