Photo Printers

Save some $ Find out what works
BekiWard@msn.com

Photo Printers

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Do you have an at-home photo printer?

If so, which one...pros, cons, would you buy it again or another?

If you don't have one, which one would you be most apt to acquire?

GO!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pamcook

Re: Photo Printers

Post by pamcook »

BekiWard@msn.com wrote:Do you have an at-home photo printer?

If so, which one...pros, cons, would you buy it again or another?

If you don't have one, which one would you be most apt to acquire?

GO!
Printing only 4 x 6? I would go with a Selphy. I print different sizes so I bought a Canon Pixsma (Ali Edwards recommended).
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I have an Epson PM-400 and love it. Great color. It prints any size up to 5 x 7. It's Blue Tooth so easy install. It also has some photo editing software that comes with it, which I haven't explored as I have Photo Shop. This replaced my old Picture Mate which gave me many years of service.

I ended up donating the huge Epson that printed up to 19" - I never needed anything that large, and if I need an 8 x 10, which is extremely rare, I can print it with the HP.

The best things about printing my own is that I can vary the size for the LO, it gives me instant gratification, and if I want to change the photo to B&W or Sepia tint I can.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

First question: are you partial to Canon or Epson? If so I'd say go with the brand you know/trust; those two seem to be the leaders in photo printers.
I also have and love my Epson PM-400, for all the reasons Pam P mentioned. Plus, you're not really limited to 5x7; as long as your paper isn't more than 5" wide you can print longer, i.e. full length page for Travelers Notebooks, which I've done. My other printer is an older Epson NX330 all-in-one that gives me decent photos if I want something larger. I'll replace it with an Epson as well; aside from how good/reliable I find them, that way I can use the same photo paper in both.
Whichever you choose I strongly suggest using the manufacturer's own ink and recommended paper. Pricier yes, but worth it for the quality. You might choose to experiment with other papers - I've found Costco's Kirkland photo paper to be a decent alternative in the Epson printers, although have no idea how well it holds up over time.
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Great advice from all of you; thanks! :happy94:
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Keitha wrote:First question: are you partial to Canon or Epson? If so I'd say go with the brand you know/trust; those two seem to be the leaders in photo printers.
I also have and love my Epson PM-400, for all the reasons Pam P mentioned. Plus, you're not really limited to 5x7; as long as your paper isn't more than 5" wide you can print longer, i.e. full length page for Travelers Notebooks, which I've done. My other printer is an older Epson NX330 all-in-one that gives me decent photos if I want something larger. I'll replace it with an Epson as well; aside from how good/reliable I find them, that way I can use the same photo paper in both.
Whichever you choose I strongly suggest using the manufacturer's own ink and recommended paper. Pricier yes, but worth it for the quality. You might choose to experiment with other papers - I've found Costco's Kirkland photo paper to be a decent alternative in the Epson printers, although have no idea how well it holds up over time.
I purchase the paper and ink combo, and generally run out of ink before I'm out of paper. Great tip on doing the longer photos - I never thought about doing that and it would be great for panoramas.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pbp908 wrote:
Keitha wrote:First question: are you partial to Canon or Epson? If so I'd say go with the brand you know/trust; those two seem to be the leaders in photo printers.
I purchase the paper and ink combo, and generally run out of ink before I'm out of paper. Great tip on doing the longer photos - I never thought about doing that and it would be great for panoramas.
I purchase the combos, too. I find that I get the 100 4x6's as well as any 5x7's I've needed out of the ink before it runs out as well. I don't print a lot of panoramas, but it would totally work; you just adjust your printer settings in PS.