August 2020 Card Challenge - Let’s Get Trendy - New Sample

paddlegal

August 2020 Card Challenge - Let’s Get Trendy - New Sample

Post by paddlegal »

By now I’m sure you’ve all seen the latest trend of “slim line” cards. Well I’m a bit on that bandwagon and it’s helped me get some card making mojo back. Vertically or horizontally, it’s a nice change of style and allows for a larger canvas to work on. Get out those stamp sets and fill up some space for birthdays, thank you, anniversaries, weddings, miss you, get well...you get the idea. This size fits a regular business envelope and uses standard postage.

A good place to start is take an 8.5 X 11 sheet of card stock and cut on the horizontal at 4”. This 4” piece can be used as a layering panel cut down to fit your base as desired. The remaining piece is now your card base at 8.5 X 7. Score at 3.5 and you end up with an 8.5 X 3.5 card base. But this is just one way to get your slim line card cut. Feel free to make your own dimension of a slim line card. I have a handful still of Club Scrap card bases and some of them are slim line style.

Have fun!
Attachments
2864ADFB-748E-4022-91FE-B706F2B71DC6.jpeg
2864ADFB-748E-4022-91FE-B706F2B71DC6.jpeg (134.6 KiB) Viewed 476 times
B70A9DE2-5D16-4902-ACA8-63C966F4EB5D.jpeg
B70A9DE2-5D16-4902-ACA8-63C966F4EB5D.jpeg (111.01 KiB) Viewed 476 times
FB575FE6-0969-408E-BB1B-D159BD614D11.jpeg
FB575FE6-0969-408E-BB1B-D159BD614D11.jpeg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 476 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: August 2020 Card Challenge - Let’s Get Trendy!

Post by pamcook »

Oh my goodness! I love them.
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Great examples, are the large dies on the bottom card Catherine Pooler dies?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Debbie J wrote:Great examples, are the large dies on the bottom card Catherine Pooler dies?

Debbie no...CP has yet to jump on that die making bandwagon but they are promoting slim line cards on youtube and SN FB. Those dies are from Trinity Stamps. They have several slim line die sets. Also Brutus Monroe has a bunch of terrific slim line stencils that I am hankering for.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Lily2011

Post by Lily2011 »

Farley, They are fabulous... I like the slim cards a lot!! I just got four pop up die sets from Karen Burniston..
This should be interesting... I finally feel a little creative spark returning. Getting back on the sight has helped immensely.

:happywave:
Make it a great day!! Dee
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Lily2011 wrote:Farley, They are fabulous... I like the slim cards a lot!! I just got four pop up die sets from Karen Burniston..
This should be interesting... I finally feel a little creative spark returning. Getting back on the sight has helped immensely.

:happywave:

Thank you Lily! I would love to see Burniston’s pop-ups however you make them. I love her designs.
FARLEY in Sacramento
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Farley your cards are great. I made a lot of them when I was doing Club Scrap.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

troublesmom wrote:Farley your cards are great. I made a lot of them when I was doing Club Scrap.

Thanks Cheryl! I too made a bunch with CS stamp/card sets years back. I just today pulled out what is left of the pre-scored cards and a few of them are slim line ones. But CS sure did love to give us some odd ball sized cards didn’t they. Even the slim line cards are different sizes. One is huge! But I’m going to try using some of them since the card stock is so nice.
FARLEY in Sacramento
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

They did strange sizes for sure. I doubt I have any left.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

paddlegal wrote:
troublesmom wrote:Farley your cards are great. I made a lot of them when I was doing Club Scrap.

Thanks Cheryl! I too made a bunch with CS stamp/card sets years back. I just today pulled out what is left of the pre-scored cards and a few of them are slim line ones. But CS sure did love to give us some odd ball sized cards didn’t they. Even the slim line cards are different sizes. One is huge! But I’m going to try using some of them since the card stock is so nice.
I too, have a lot of CS pre scored cards in my stash. They were selling them very inexpensively.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I made another one! This Brutus Monroe mermaid is not my normal style of stamp but I couldn’t help myself a few months ago getting the Inspiration Box...the card is for my 6 year old granddaughter.

I threw everything at this card. I colored the mermaid with Nuvo Highly Pigmented Water Color Pencils. They are outstanding. The set I have is “Dark Shadows” which are more muted colors (Distress-like) and are rich in color. Then I ink blended the background before stenciling the school of fish which is also
Brutus Monroe.

I’m finding the slim line card format a nice change and pushing me to get back into my card making.
Attachments
AB496B9C-37B8-4255-892E-9E5D278FD8DE.jpeg
AB496B9C-37B8-4255-892E-9E5D278FD8DE.jpeg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 390 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: August 2020 Card Challenge - Let’s Get Trendy - New Sam

Post by pamcook »

She’ll love it Farley!
That watery background is pretty amazing.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Cute and perfect!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Very nice cards Farley. I'd actually decided to stay off this bandwagon. While I appreciate that it's something new and different to play with, I do not want to get sucked into buying dies, stencils and stamps designed for slimline cards - I just don't make and send enough cards to warrant buying another specific set of supplies for them. If I happen to pull something out that would fit I might make one; of course then I'd have to buy different envelopes... But I'll certainly admire others' creations.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:lol:
It honestly never occurred to me to buy new supplies to make this size cards. I must be hyper-focused in scrapbook supplies because I didn’t realize there were specific supplies. Although I have seen envelopes though. Kenan and I are making cards today so we’ll make similar sized cards and post them. I have my envelope making tool. I suppose we can make our own envelope if we need to. I’ll avoid buying specific tools for this size card though.

Will 2 first class stamps make the USPS happy?
Pam Cook #48