PSE Disk Work Space Tip

bethrich

PSE Disk Work Space Tip

Post by bethrich »

Well! Sometimes it pays to read the help files and other information. I rarely do, just play, that's me. Today I learned something useful from help in PSE.

Did you know that PSE wants "contiguous" disk space to work in? I've really been struggling due to being short on disk space and I couldn't figure out why it didn't use all that was there.

Moral of the story is run defrag often! And since Windows defrag doesn't move everything around, consider other alternatives if the drive is too fragmented. Fortunately I have an old version of Diskeeper I could install and that made a big difference.
jfugina

Re: PSE Disk Work Space Tip

Post by jfugina »

Hmmm.. wonder if that's still true for the newer versions? My PSE sucks up so much memory and swap space that sometimes I can't do anything else except work in PSE. And the memory doesn't release when I close files. Totally a PITA. I basically open PSE right after I boot up, and leave it open until I shut down or it crashes - whichever comes first.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

What is PSE?
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
aprilpzzl

Post by aprilpzzl »

My 'puter is set to automatically defrag regularly.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Laurie wrote:What is PSE?
Photoshop Elements, a photo editing software many use for digiscrapping. I had to move all my digiscrapping files onto an extra hard drive since those files take up so much space, that made a huge difference for me.
tichwoli

Post by tichwoli »

I run a disk compression and defrag most nights even though I have a huge amount of space available. Like Chris I also have all my digi stuff on a different hard drive AND back up on the internet on a nightly basis. I have this abject fear of something crashing and not being able to get it back!
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks guys...I had no idea what you guys were talking about. I haven't gotten into the digital scrapping yet. I've been pondering it.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I was thinking maybe I could hook up a USB hard drive for PSE, but wonder about the speed. Do any of you use an external drive for your workspace in PSE?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Nope. Nothing external here - however, the ONLY thing on my hard drive is software. I store everything on a RAID controlled network drive. I'm still waiting for Rob to start to notice how fast he's losing space now that I've started acquiring all of these digi kits. :-)

Sounds like a periodic defrag is the next thing on my agenda though.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Don't make me crave NAS Julie! These digi kits are large, you're right! I just gotta get my netbook back to working so I can move some stuff off my laptop. After arguing with it all weekend, I gave up for now. But PSE is going to force me to face it.
:whack:
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

You all are talking a foreign language to me. I know nothing about Digi and probably won't be in any hurry to learn.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Sorry Cheryl. :lol:
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I have two internal hard drive, one that is 50GB and the other is 500GB. I have all of my digifiles on the 500GB. I also have an external HD that is 500GB. Right now I am able to back up the two internal ones onto the external hd since the total on both is around 220GB.

When I started digiscrapping, my old computer just didn't have the RAM and speed to handle it, so I took over DH's desk top. If I start doing more video editing though, this one won't be able to handle it. I'm hoping to get a new desk top later this year (cross my fingers)