Layout cutting guides?

jfugina

Layout cutting guides?

Post by jfugina »

I've been scrapbooking for well over 20 years, and I almost NEVER attempt a layout without a sketch. And while I love a sketch, I really have a deep appreciation for page cutting templates with measurements. So, does anyone else use cutting templates and have a particular source they like?

To date, I've used:
Club Scrap ALSB (I think I own all of the idea decks that they sold)
Scrapbook Generation sketch books - pretty sure I own every book they've published, and have saved all of the club kit cutting guides that looked like they'd be re-usable.
Simple Cut Creations - purchased all of the cutting guides off of that web page

And for cards, I've done Sheet Load and One Sheet Wonders.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any other good sources for cutting guides, let me know.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Re: Layout cutting guides?

Post by Keitha »

I'm a huge sketch fan as we've previously discussed Julie, but other than the cutting guides that come with the SG sketches am not familiar with any. I just wish all sketches at least came with photo size measurements; I could probably figure out the rest from there. I often use my calculator to convert the dimensions on my printed sketch to their 12x12 equivalents.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Because I love you, I checked some of my saved sketches. PageMaps.com puts measurements on the space for photos on their sketches. Not sure if all of their sketches have measurements but those I have saved do.

Also http://sketchsavvy.blogspot.com/
http://scrapysketches.blogspot.com/
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Keitha - I'm right there with you. If the sketch at least has a photo dimension, I can sort of extrapolate the other measurements just based on relative size to the photo and the knowledge that the whole thing is 12x12. But some of the more intricate sketches are a bit harder to do that with. And sometimes I've even been known to use a scale ruler on those sketches if I'm desperate and I really love the layout. Sometimes I enjoy the challenge, but sometimes it's a turnoff. Depends on my mood.

I still have a large backlog of SG kits to assemble, but the last two I ran into called for a bunch of fussy cuts and I absolutely detest that. I don't need intricate scissor work to irritate my early stages or arthritis. And when that happens, that's when I abandon my SG kits for a while in search of new cutting templates.

Pam - I LOVE page maps! I used page maps all the time when I was doing digital, because I the "cuts" were so easy to adjust if my guesses weren't right. I also had the benefit of all of those digi kit embellishment clusters to match up with the page maps embellishments. But with real paper, I struggle. I should have added page maps to my original list though, because I did buy a whole book complete with a card deck when that first came out, and saved many many months worth of sketches as they came out.
Julie Fugina
Monica

Post by Monica »

Try sketchsavvy.blogspot.com for some sketches. She doesn't put dimensions for all the layers, but she does list the sizes for photos. The blog only runs to 2017, but Susan now owns and runs a Disney-centric forum with new sketches on a monthly basis at disneyscrappers.ning.com. I find her sketches fairly easy to work with, and adjustable for photos that are a slightly different size.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

you covered all of my sources.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks Monica! I've got a lot of stuff from sketchsavvy pinned in Pinterest. I didn't know about the Disney specific site though. I'm going to need to check that out! I love me some Disney layouts!
Julie Fugina
Monica

Post by Monica »

No problem, Julie! I bounce between here and there now, make sure I keep up with all my favorite people when I have time and brain enough to pop online.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Page Maps and Susan Stringfellow (sketch savvy/Disney) are a couple of my favourite, go-to sources as well. Sadly I don't have Disney photos left to scrap so I don't post over there - but the sketches work equally well for other things, too.
Julie, I was just working with an older Simple Stories collection the other day that has a lot of the cut-apart papers in it. I've mostly used up the full 12x12 patterns, but made a note to myself to pull out the SG Simple Stories sketches to find something to use these other papers with. I'm with you on the fussy cutting though; I'm okay with a bit of it, but I buy embellishments so I don't have to rely on fussy-cutting paper for that.