Printer recommendations

Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

Printer recommendations

Post by pamcook »

I know we recently had this conversation but here I am needing a new photo printer (dammit!).
We’ve replaced 3 auto batteries, our microwave, and Keurig so far this year and now my workhorse photo printer has crashed. Canon said they’d give me an upgrade “discount” but after 45 minutes on hold I got really angry and hung up.
So - which photo printer do you all recommend?
Pam Cook #48
pamcook

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by pamcook »

Never mind - found it!
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Pam you can't just leave it at that - what did you get?
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Ha! I went with The Other Pam’s recommendation and got the Epson PM 400. Is it Epsom? Whatever. Should be here Saturday.

Have spent the day sorting and putting into albums over 90 layouts. Break time.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I love mine!! And get the apps for your phone and you can print over your network and have lots more print size options.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

I have that one and love it!
Laurie

Printer question

Post by Laurie »

I know this might sound silly…. But what is the difference in a color printer and a photo printer? I have a good color Epson printer but I would like to start printing my own photos.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I have been using my Epson to print photos but I used to use my HP.
The HP is having trouble pulling paper in so it needs to be fixed.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Re: Printer question

Post by pamcook »

Laurie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:03 pm I know this might sound silly…. But what is the difference in a color printer and a photo printer? I have a good color Epson printer but I would like to start printing my own photos.
I think it’s the quality of the ink. There’s probably more to it though.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Just realized this thread started in March. Pam, now that you've had your Epson for awhile, how do you like it? I love mine - not surprisingly, as I've been an Epson girl for years now. But somehow I missed Debi's recommendation for the phone app, so I've now downloaded that and am looking forward to trying it.

I've also got another Epson photo printer waiting at home for me to set it up when I get there in a couple weeks; I've long wanted a wide-format printer, and seeing that Epson discontinued the one I was eyeing (XP-15000) and haven't replaced it with an affordable wide-format home printer (as opposed to a much pricier 'professional' one), went ahead and ordered it while I could still get it. I'm looking forward to finally doing those layouts with 12x12 photos that I've been meaning to order prints for, but never quite gotten around to. The downside is it takes eight, count 'em - eight, ink cartridges, but I have every confidence that I'll be happy with the results. My other conundrum is that it's replacing an all-in-one that truly owes me nothing - except this is just a printer, and I haven't yet decided what I'll do for a scanner. So I think I'll be keeping my old machine as well for now, and figuring out where the heck I'm setting them all up.
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

Im having a hard time finding ink for my Picture mate! Pam said they are on the boat in CA!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Debbie - I buy my ink from Amazon - pretty much overnight delivery from some of the vendors. At least they let you know if they have it in stock.

Keitha - I got tired of wasting a lot of ink cleaning nozzles and printer heads, so I donated my wide format Epson to Habitat reStore. From what I gather they're a lot better now but dang those 8 carts! I have to say I've been eye-balling the eco-tank printers and trying to figure out how to justify one of them.

Laurie - There is a difference in the ink formulation. It is possible to find photo ink cartridges for a lot of standard printers. My HP does a good job on photos when I've had to use it. Don't know how the ink supplies are looking in local stores now, though. You may be able to find some on Amazon, which has become my "go-to" place to shop. And goodness knows I'd rather spend locally if at all possible.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I currently have an HP Envy ink printer/scanner. It does great when you buy your cartridges directly from HP, but any other source is a crap shoot. I've tried brand new (supposedly not re-loaded) from Amazon and from local office stores, but I think HP must have done something to make their printers able to identify cartridges that have been re-filled or something. It's a racket. I don't use it for a ton of photo printing, because the cost per print winds up being crazy expensive, but when I need something RIGHT NOW or I need an enlargement or a reduction, it's works exceptionally well.

When this one dies, an eco tank kind of setup is what I'm going to be looking for. Having to buy cartridges that are non-refillable is a crock. And, those color cartridges that are all three colors in one are also such a waste - there's a lot of blue in what I print, so I run out of cyan faster than anything else, but have to replace the whole cart when cyan is low. Gr.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO