6x6 paper pad class

Got one? Know of a good one?
pamcook

6x6 paper pad class

Post by pamcook »

Allison Davis is offering a 20 week class using 6 x 6 paper pads. Sign ups are open now. The price seems very reasonable.

https://scrapbookgeneration.com/downloads/classes/
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Re: 6x6 paper pad class

Post by nchoney »

I think I'm going to sign up for that one, too.... I have a ton (ok... some pounds) of 6x6 pads and the class is only $17 .... I can support her for that small fee, for sure... and she's giving us a lot of sketches, too...
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

She did a 6x6 class years ago (and maybe even has had several in between). I purchased the class, but it really was just purchasing another collection of sketches. I was hoping for more of a "class" where there were tips and tricks, etc. So at the time, I was disappointed. I was happy enough to have purchased the sketches, but had honestly hoped for more.

That said, I've been out of the loop with "classes" for a while, but the impression I'm getting is that that's what a "class" is these days. I'm a stickler for context. I expect a class to be more than just, "here are some sketches". I expect there to be some sort of instruction or tips.

For those of you enrolling in the class, please pass along how many sketches are included, and if there is any other useful info. I own ALL of the SG sketch books, and those are my bible. I LOVE their sketches. But I did feel a little disappointed in the 6x6 class that I purchased all those years ago.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

From what I saw, Julie, you can just purchase the sketches separately, and the class is supposed to show you how to take those sketches and make them more versatile. At least that's what I got from reading the blurb about it. I actually purchased their sketch books a few years ago from your recommendation and those are a go-to for me as well.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

She has a video outlining the details on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOtcIgOkds&t=328s
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I'm not sure where these sketches are being sold separately. But the class options are to either (1) buy the class IF you already have the sketches... or (2) buy the class and sketches together.

I just signed up and downloaded the initial 20 sketches and I like them already! It's also nice to have them ahead of time so I can then pick out some photos that'll go with the sketches. Yay!!
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Julie... signups start now... then there will be a period of time to get logged into a private FB group. Classes start in May... there will be videos on FB of her making at least a couple layouts each week for 20 weeks. There are 20 weekly layouts... that you get right when you register. Then there will be multiple more layouts which will be variations on each week's main sketch. So... another 400+ sketches I think it was. But yes... there will be live classes each week with instructions for following the sketch and also adapting it to other sizes, etc. And the videos will be up there to view later... and there will be class interaction by asking questions in the FB group and posting our layouts, I assume. For $17 it was worth a try. She has other videos up on YouTube also.

yep... just went to that video to check... we'll wind up with over 450 sketches .... and she'll be showing us how to put the layouts together and how to adapt them... and we'll be uploading our layouts into the gallery in the FB group
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Here's the youtube link to her videos. She's been around for a while... I've never bought any classes, but have watched some of her videos. I think I'll get my <$20 worth out of this :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIlRCG ... Gab8_qXPMg
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks all for those links! I will tell you that the class I purchased years ago was not anything like what you are describing. It was literally buying sketches. No interaction or group chats or timed things at all. So this is definitely a more exciting prospect!
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'm in. I don't have a lot of 6 x 6 pads, but I DO have a lot of 12 x 12 paper. :lol: I'm all for anything that kick starts me.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It does look like a very helpful class - and like Pam says, when it kickstarts me, I'm all in.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I thought about this; I do like Allison Davis's sketches. However I'm trying not to buy any more 6x6 paper pads - something I found myself wanting to do when I did Shannon's free 6x6 class earlier this year as the ones I have don't lend themselves to the projects I'm currently working on. I know I can cut up larger papers, but I'm not hurting for sketches or other inspiration. I may, at some point, just pick up the sketches - and in the meantime look forward to seeing what you all create.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am I thought about this; I do like Allison Davis's sketches. However I'm trying not to buy any more 6x6 paper pads - something I found myself wanting to do when I did Shannon's free 6x6 class earlier this year as the ones I have don't lend themselves to the projects I'm currently working on. I know I can cut up larger papers, but I'm not hurting for sketches or other inspiration. I may, at some point, just pick up the sketches - and in the meantime look forward to seeing what you all create.
No way will I buy more 6x6 paper pads! I have a box full of them and that's plenty for any one person!
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I have never - not once - deliberately purchased a 6x6 paper pad. Everything I have (which is a lot) was either RAK'd to me, or came in a warehouse box. My biggest issue with the 6x6 papers is forgetting I have them, because they're not "filed" with my 12x12s. When I do remember that I have them, my go-to use for them is to tape two of the same pattern together and get a 6x12 sheet of a small print. On some of the patterned papers I have, the print is just too large to use in the strips and banners that SG sketches often call for. So rather than cut into a 12x12 just for a 1" strip, that's when I'll cut a 6x6 and get a 12x3. It's usually easy enough to disguise the seam.

That said, I certainly don't think that $17 is too much to spend for 20 weeks worth of inspiration. So I'm definitely still pondering. I do expect life to go back to a somewhat usual level of busy in August or so, but maybe by then this will be a once/week think I've really come to look forward to.
Julie Fugina
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I've used 6x6 for cards quite a lot.... I keep forgetting to pull them out to diecut shapes out of.. but her first sketch involves cutting various sized circles.. so yay!! I'll cut some of those papers right off the bat!

I don't think I've used 3" wide strips in layouts before but now I have another idea... thanks, Julie! And, you're right, it's always super easy to disguise a seam ... whether a 3" one or a 6" one.

I've been trying to use up these small paper pads and I'm hoping this inspiration will help me whittle down my stack. I've already gone through some of them and pulled out papers to donate... so on to more inspiration for using them!!
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts