Embossing gun?

Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

Embossing gun?

Post by pamcook »

Evidently I’ve sent my embossing heat gun to the thrift store. (Insert cuss word here.)
I have the whisper quiet one from Ranger but I need a real one for embossing projects.
I don’t see the maroon color one I had - no idea of the brand.
Help me? What brand do you have and do you love it?

Thanks
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Embossing gun?

Post by Keitha »

I agree, the Ranger tool is good for drying ink/paint, but not heat embossing. Recently my old embossing gun stopped working so I bought the American Crafts Zap! gun; an unfortunately pink colour, but otherwise it works fine. I miss my old Darice one though. I've read mixed reviews on this product, but I wonder how much is user error. I'm sure you know this Pam, but with heat guns you're not supposed to frantically wave them back & forth and back & forth over your project; that's what causes the coils to get damaged. Hold the gun steady, and move it slowly around your project as the powder melts.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Mine is maroon, and it's the only one I've ever had. It's amazing. I had to work hard to see what the label used to be, because it's almost completely worn off. I'm kind of amazed I was able to locate it though, as it's one of the things that Rob habitually takes to the shop or to the garage for his own purposes.

It's a Marvy Uchida.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I have a black one. Milwaukee brand. I have had it for years. It does a great job.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I have the purple one, have had it forever.
Did try another, probably the Ranger one,
that didn't work well.
The purple is made by Marvy Uchida.
Mine is model 2000 II
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha, I did read about how shaking the gun causes them to break.
I’m pretty sure mine was the Marvy Uchida brand. I loved that thing.
Joel has a fancy one he insists that I should try out before buying another. It has heat settings. If I don’t set the house on fire, it might serve my purposes. I keep hoping to find a good deal on one. Maybe I should check to see what Michael’s sells.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Ranger and Tim Holtz state that the Ranger heat gun is not the same as an embossing gun... different tools for different purposes. That said, I still have and love my Marvy Uchida bought 20+ years ago for embossing, but when I thought I'd lost it a year ago I did find another decent one on Amazon. It's grey and marked Chandler Tool. It works just fine, but when I found my old one I switched back. :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

There are a couple Marvy on Ebay.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Pam I have the WOW that uses 2 heat settings and works great. I do still have my old maroon one that is 25 years old. Charley, now 27, was 2 when I started stamping and embossing.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I’ll keep an eye out while giving Joel’s a try.

Yes, the Ranger one is an entirely different tool and I knew that when I bought it. I kept the other one in a different spot. I have no doubt that I’ll find it as soon as a I buy a new one - that’s why I’m holding back! Good to know there are other brands out there that work well.
Pam Cook #48