Checking in Again

azemigh

Checking in Again

Post by azemigh »

Hi everybody. Sorry, I've just been a lurker these last few months. My back started hurting at the start of the year and I finally broke down and went to the doctor at the end of February. After a month of PT that went nowhere and everything hurt more, especially my hip, I had an xray and lo and behold, advanced osteoarthrosis in my right hip. So, I'm scheduled for full hip replacement surgery in about 10 days. I can hardly wait. And the xray also showed that at some point in the past I broke a vertebrae in my back, near the tailbone, which fully healed on its own and was not the cause of my current pain. It's all about the hip and not walking properly because of it. The only time I can remember injuring myself bad enough to break something was when we moved from AZ to OR in 2014 and I fell out of the moving truck at a gas stop. Landed right on my tailbone and whacked my head pretty good too. Was more worried about the big goose egg on the back of my head than my back at the time. Go figure. I'll let you all know how surgery goes. Happy Spring!
pamcook

Re: Checking in Again

Post by pamcook »

Oh no! I’m so sorry you’re facing such a big surgery but everyone I know who’s had it says you don’t realize how much pain you’ve endured until it’s gone.
Please stay in touch and you’ll be in my prayers for a successful surgery and a very quick recovery.
:happy94:
Pam Cook #48
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Thanks, Pam! Yeah, I've been living with hip pain for the last 10 years, it starts out small and you just get used to it, but when my back started to hurt too, it was interfering with walking, sitting, standing, everything.
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

Wow! Good news your pain is going to be taken care of! I wonder if that’s what’s wrong with my hip. It’s my right hip and one day my hip hurts and then one day it’s my groin! I’m too chicken to go to the doc.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Debbie AZ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:28 pm Wow! Good news your pain is going to be taken care of! I wonder if that’s what’s wrong with my hip. It’s my right hip and one day my hip hurts and then one day it’s my groin! I’m too chicken to go to the doc.
Odds are that's what it is. I get shooting pains in my groin sometimes and it often feels like someone stuck a spear through the top of my buttocks. Supposed to be the easiest replacement joint to recover from.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I've been told by people who have had both that the hip is a lot easier recovery than the knee. We'll all be sending healing thoughts for a quick recovery! You've been missed!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

All the best of luck with it.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Sorry to hear about all of the endured pain
but the hip replacement should eliminate all
of that.
Soon you will be up and ready to dance the Polka :)

You will be in my prayers and thoughts for a
successful outcome
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks for telling us what is going on, Rachelle! Keep in touch while you are recovering!!
My Mom had one in her 80s and recovered very quickly despite a lot of other issues. Whatever PT they recommend, do it! It all helps to get you moving again!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Praying for you and hoping you have a speedy recovery.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you updated on how it all goes. Getting ready to take pics of the rest of our garage/workshop build and will post them soon.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the pain, but so glad you have a plan. Best of luck! I'll be sending healing vibes your way!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Those pesky hips. I have a congenital hip issue, so I've had hip pain, etc. for a long while, with scoliosis thrown in. I had all the pains you've described. I had my R hip replaced 12/2019. A very good recovery with PT! Told the doc I was pleasantly surprised when he asked how I felt about the surgery. All my back issues due to hip issues has taken a toll, a bit of sciatica now has set in.

All in all, the hip replacement was the best thing I did that year! I wish you all best for a successful surgery and a non eventful recovery,

Oh, one last thing. Make sure they get your leg lengths to match as close as possible, if possible. I was short on the right before, and now I am very short on the left. I wore a heal lift on the right before, now it's on the left. My lot in life, but it ALL could be far worse.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pat-czap wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm Those pesky hips. I have a congenital hip issue, so I've had hip pain, etc. for a long while, with scoliosis thrown in. I had all the pains you've described. I had my R hip replaced 12/2019. A very good recovery with PT! Told the doc I was pleasantly surprised when he asked how I felt about the surgery. All my back issues due to hip issues has taken a toll, a bit of sciatica now has set in.

All in all, the hip replacement was the best thing I did that year! I wish you all best for a successful surgery and a non eventful recovery,

Oh, one last thing. Make sure they get your leg lengths to match as close as possible, if possible. I was short on the right before, and now I am very short on the left. I wore a heal lift on the right before, now it's on the left. My lot in life, but it ALL could be far worse.
I'm hoping they've got that covered, Pat. My surgeon has checked the length of my legs several times now and said he will get them as close as possible. Thanks for the encouragement. :greenbounce:
Monica

Post by Monica »

Best of luck to you Rachelle! A good surgeon and p/t team will make all the difference.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin