6x6 Paper Pad Class - Week 1 Layout Share

Got one? Know of a good one?
jfugina

6x6 Paper Pad Class - Week 1 Layout Share

Post by jfugina »

So, I got a little too excited and I already made a layout with the week 1 sketch. So I figured I'd go ahead and start a share thread here for those who are playing along. The original sketch called for a single 4x4 photo in the center, but I modified it to 5x5, and stacked to 2x5" photos on top of each other.

I have an actual 4x4 photo that I've got saved for another version of this sketch, but I plan to hold off until the class actually starts. The circles were a PITA. The sketch indicates which sizes of circles are used, and it indicates 6 patterned papers, but to Pam P's point in another post, it's really difficult to figure out what goes where and distinguish the 6 shades of grey. I know the sketch is just a reference guide, but at a minimum, I'm hoping that in the class she maybe gives some hints as to how many of each sized circle she cut out of each patterned paper. Also, I have punches for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4", and I have a circle cutter that goes as small as 1", but I can't cut anything smaller. The sketch calls for circles of 1/2" and 1/4" as well. I just scattered some enamel dots instead. It still needs a title, but I need to ponder that a bit further.

Those who are playing along, feel free to use this thread to post your week 1 interpretations!
Attachments
6x6Challenge_1_sm.jpg
6x6Challenge_1_sm.jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Re: 6x6 Paper Pad Class - Week 1 Layout Share

Post by pamcook »

LOVE IT! Good job modifying the sketch to make it work for you.

Did you use papers from one paper pad? I know I'll end up pulling from my scraps but it's so obvious these colors are meant to go together.
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Great page
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So, all of the papers were from the Basic Grey Prism pad, except the textured solid blue (which was a POP piece), and the blue with the greenish squiggle lines. The Prism collection had a lot more patterns, but the colors were more pink and aqua focused, which I didn't really like with the primary colors of the uniforms. I struggled with what background to use. The turquoise color was one of the colors I was trying to avoid in the 6x6s, but as a background it didn't seem quite as distracting. Plus, it let me work in that tag at the top, which is from the Prism collection as well.

My next one that I'm saving for class will be from the Webster's Pages Park Drive collection, which I've had for YEARS and have never used. So that's exciting.

I agree with you Pam that I'm going to be diving into some scrap folders for some of these. But just in doing this layout, it totally clicked why you'd use the small paper pads over just ordinary scraps. For those small circles It catches my eye that the blue with green squiggles just doesn't work as well because the pattern is too large. Some of the future sketches call for 1" wide banners, or 1x1" squares. And I now understand that nothing works as well there as the miniature version of the pattern.

There are certainly going to be multiple sketches that work my very last nerve with all of the gazillions of tiny bits, and cutting chevrons into a thousand little banners just for one layout. But I'm really going to push myself to do this each week. I'm already glad that I signed up for this class.
Julie Fugina
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Your page looks great Julie. I'm guessing there are those who appreciate the cost savings in getting your embellishments out of an inexpensive piece of paper, although I'm not one of them. You're certainly right about pattern scale though, when you're using such small pieces.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I am right there with you Keitha. I do find cutting paper to be therapeutic, but not with scissors. Paper cutters, dies and punches I don't mind. but excessive scissor work tends to aggravate the arthritis in my hands. If I hadn't had punches for all of those circles this layout just would have been skipped. For embellishments, I'm all about stickers, even though my cluster game needs work.
Julie Fugina
Monica

Post by Monica »

That is a terrific page, Julie, and your background/base paper is neutral enough to make the rest pop and highlight the photos. I'm like you in that doing tons of small stuff on a page, especially fussy cutting, is just not my thing in the least bit, but substituting some of the tiny circles with enamel dots is an excellent way to use more of what you already have while not buying more tools. I can get very literal with sketches and have to remind myself that I can modify them to fit my need.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

great page
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Now that the first week is officially posted and the variations and tips are out there, there wasn't really anything I wanted to do especially different with my second pass at this. I loved the idea of hexagons, but alas, I am not in possession of more than two sizes of hex punches. Maybe that would have been fine, but the sizes I have feel too small for the base layer. So, more circles. These papers were all from the Websters Pages Park Lane 6x6 pad. I also located a couple of circles that hadn't been adhered and fell off when I picked up the layout. But I'm too lazy to retake the photo.
Attachments
PickleShots_sm.jpg
PickleShots_sm.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Julie Fugina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Mine is done
Used a photo of the
61st.jpg
61st.jpg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 104 times
couple in their 80's on their 61st Anniversary.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Jill I love the colors and your paper choices!
61 years. That’s amazing.
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Thank you
Yes 61 years is a long time. They are still very active.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Great page, Jill! What a great photo also.
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Great pages! I have to say that I'm really struggling with this one. I spent several hours last night selecting papers and cutting squares (because I'm not a big fan of circles) and then shoving them around into something acceptable. I finally gave up and went to bed.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am Great pages! I have to say that I'm really struggling with this one. I spent several hours last night selecting papers and cutting squares (because I'm not a big fan of circles) and then shoving them around into something acceptable. I finally gave up and went to bed.
I totally get it. It was waaay harder than I thought. I do love the gallery for the class though. There is some really neat stuff (along with a few head-scratchers, but hey - to each their own). I saw at least one yesterday that was done with squares, and it turned out really nice.

I have to admit that I spent some time this past weekend working ahead, and it didn't get any easier. I've worked through week 5, and found distinct challenges with each. Week 4 was especially difficult for me. The photos I picked I thought would be fine for just a 2x2 size, but then when it was all put together with just 2x2 papers, everything was just lost. And I didn't realize until too late that the papers all literally needed to be different colors. The same base color for the background didn't work, and I hadn't inked anything before I glued it. I love the sketch, but I'm not a fan of how my page came out. I may need to find another set of 2x2s and try that one again.
Julie Fugina