Wisdom tooth update

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
jfugina

Wisdom tooth update

Post by jfugina »

So, I had surgery last Thursday, and all went as well as we could have hoped. The doctor was able to get the whole tooth out without fracturing my jaw (thank goodness!), though he still recommends soft foods for a month. Recovery has been somewhat rough, I guess because of my age, or maybe because of how the tooth was situated. Or maybe it's just super normal to still have a lump the size of a baseball four days after surgery. I'm trying to stay ahead of the pain meds, but even doing so, they're not enough for me to be comfortable - they're only enough for me to not want to lay in bed and cry. Though finally today I did notice a brief period where I wasn't entirely pain-free, but I was comfortable for the first time in days. So I guess that's promising

The only snafu was that the surgeon caught my lip in the drill, so I wound up with some stitches in my lip, but I've never been one to worry too much about a scar here and there. The main issue is that eating was already hard enough, but now every time I attempt to take even the smallest bite, I split my lip a little bit. I also had a sore throat for a couple of days due to being intubated.

All in all, I'll be fine - way more fine than I was expecting to be, given what every other surgeon told me. I don't know if this guy was just more skilled or the others were just not interested in taking on anything risky or challenging. I have a follow-up on Thursday, and hopefully he'll tell me I'm healing well enough and that the pain and swelling will subside soon (if it hasn't already by then). I would appreciate any rapid healing vibes you can send my way. :-) I'm really hoping I don't need to deal with this level of pain and swelling for much longer.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Re: Wisdom tooth update

Post by mpizzazz »

That is great news that the surgeon has been able to do the job without extreme measures the others suggested. I hope the good news continues on Thursday and you are soon pain free. Maybe you need a liquid diet for the lip---and I don't mean wine!!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

So glad the surgery went well, but I'm sorry you're still in so much pain. Hoping to hear good news after your follow up on Thursday and that things get back to normal quickly.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's good to hear from you. I know you have to be so happy to have that experience behind you. Keep us updated.
:happy94:
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Sorry you're feeling all that pain... but super glad they got the tooth out without damaging your jaw.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Ice ice baby! (Sorry, but that song came to my mind when you were talking about the swelling. :tomato: )

Hopefully the swelling will soon be gone, the pain will be a distant memory, and you'll have all of this behind you. I'll definitely send healing energy! :happy94:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through all
of the pain and that you even had to go through
the procedure itself.
Maybe CBD oil would help lessen the pain for
you
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Monica

Post by Monica »

So glad it wasn't as bad as you were being told it would be! Hoping for a quick recovery and healing. :happy94:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

So glad the surgery is behind you, and wasn't as bad as you feared. Sending positive thoughts your way for continued healing and diminished pain; hopefully you'll be back to your old self in no time.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks so much everyone! I am looking forward to having this whole dental issue behind me, and getting back to normal. My dentist has been telling me this needed to get done for about 5 years or more, so it’s good to finally have it done.
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

mpizzazz wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:08 am That is great news that the surgeon has been able to do the job without extreme measures the others suggested. I hope the good news continues on Thursday and you are soon pain free. Maybe you need a liquid diet for the lip---and I don't mean wine!!
One of my coworkers offered to deliver a frozen margarita, which sounded delightful! But I declined, at least until I’m through the antibiotics and not on the Percocet any more.
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

EDelValle wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am Maybe CBD oil would help lessen the pain for
you
That’s a really interesting idea! I’ve yet to try any CBD product or medical cannabis. That’s probably worth checking out.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

jfugina wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm
EDelValle wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am Maybe CBD oil would help lessen the pain for
you
That’s a really interesting idea! I’ve yet to try any CBD product or medical cannabis. That’s probably worth checking out.
We keep it on hand all the time. More effective than Tylenol or ibuprofen and much safer.
Pam Cook #48
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

Glad to hear the surgery is behind you. Sending lots of healing vibes your way and hopes that you are pain free soon.
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

Julie, I hope the pain is easing off by now and you get a good report at your "follow-up"today.