Deck of Art - Ace of Clubs - Ribbon & napkin or flowers5-20

The Deck of Art challenge is where you use old playing cards as a base for altered art. Once card is chosen per week, with a theme, and results are posted here.
troublesmom

Re: Deck of Art - Ace of Clubs - Ribbon & napkin or flowers5-20

Post by troublesmom »

It is an easy way to use a napkin. I guess I really picked poor items to do this in. Not many are joining in on this.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Beautiful cards Ladies!
I was noticing an embossed edge on a plain white paper napkin the other day...I wonder where that was?
OH!! I have some of those cute Halloween napkins from last fall's PAO get-together...

Paula - I was never so shocked in all my life the first time I saw grandma go get a chicken for supper...she said, "You'd be surprised what you can do when you're hungry." I still think I'd have to become a vegan - or very good at bartering.
Pam Cook #48
Paula

Post by Paula »

Paula - I was never so shocked in all my life the first time I saw grandma go get a chicken for supper...she said, "You'd be surprised what you can do when you're hungry." I still think I'd have to become a vegan - or very good at bartering.[/quote]

I think we both know where the 'running around like a chicken' phrase came from, huh :lol: :lol: I know my parents were very upset that we had to be a part of that procedure. As a child it was almost tramatic :angel:
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

troublesmom wrote:It is an easy way to use a napkin. I guess I really picked poor items to do this in. Not many are joining in on this.
I think it's a great theme and I can hardly wait to try it. The end of May is just extremely busy for some of us. Graduation, Memorial Day, getting ready for summer. My quilt group always gets cancelled and moved around this time of year too. Never fails!

I love what's been posted so far and am hoping for "catch-up" time the first week of June.
Dani Larcom

Post by Dani Larcom »

troublesmom wrote:It is an easy way to use a napkin. I guess I really picked poor items to do this in. Not many are joining in on this.
I think it's great to challenge us! Mine is done, I just have to photograph and post it.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Mine is going to be late courtesy of the clean up in the (s)craproom. I have so many things that I've got to get caught up on. Starting Friday afternoon, I'm out of this office for a week and intend to finish some projects.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Holly

Post by Holly »

Cheryl-- this is a good choice. Like other said, This time of year is a rush in so many ways. I had to spend part of last week painting a room, since guests will be coming, and I'm just behind of my swaps due June 1st. The altered art piece is taking a lot of time, and the dominos are going none too quick for me as I've had starts and stops on them. I feel lucky the petite dress is finished. This too will get finished, just not this week.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Cheryl, great ideas......I'm late cuz.....um,......I've been ALSBing and jonesing for my compu, and watching DH shovel dirt....and I have no pretty napkins that I know of, but need to climb up to the cupboard over the fridge where I keep holiday stuff and see what's up there...love what I've seen so far, tho!
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

First of all, thank you all, ladies, for the encouragement and the compliments on "my creativity". I didn't actually think I was so great in that department - after all, I only do scrapbooking and the odd card now. Used to make more cards in the past, including napkin decoupage, but then decided to concentrate on the scrapbooking which gave me the most satisfaction I suppose. So I used up my ModPodge and then used the rest of the napkins for their "original" purpose... Anyway, you convinced me: I'll be giving the theme a try, with an ordinary napkin and see what I can do...

Wonderful cards, everybody!!! Cheryl, yours is really encouraging me, because it isn't decoupaged! And it's beautiful! Love the little jewels incorporated in the stamp image. And that pearl button thingy is beautiful - what kit did that come with (I mostly only got the paper packs, fibres and JR stuff...)? Paula - love how the napkin brought this memory back to you - great card, too!
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Okay, done it - what do you think???

Clip journal reads: "One of the highlights of the year for me as a child, something that I really remember strongly, was the annual Corpus Christi celebration – just at the beginning of summer when the days were ALWAYS sunny and warm. All the catholic churches would parade their monstrances through the streets, where people had laid out “altars” made of flowers. The processions would stop at each to sing favourite hymns and pray, and then move on. And all the small girls were “flower girls”: strewing petals in front of the priest and the monstrance. I loved it!
Photo taken 1968 after the procession."

This was a topic I really wanted to include in my childhood DOA, so having a "theme without a topic" was quite suitable, and you ladies really inspired me to do "something else" with the napkin. Therefore I used the little "Barn Red" Memories ink pad that must have been with a CS JR kit at some time (because they are the only inkpads I have!) and altered a faintly yellow napkin of the cheap "rough" type, to bring out the pattern in the paper and make it look more like the roses in the picture. I think it worked quite well...

I also used Making Memories ribbon (because it matched the colour of my dress), Making Memories brads, Craft Creations alpha peeloffs, and a doll's house cross charm. The background paper is handmade embossed with flowers (it's really beautiful paper that I've had for ages and this inspired me to cut into it - it's a shame you can't really see much of it).
Attachments
DOA_ribbon_napkin.jpg
DOA_ribbon_napkin.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 363 times
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I think it is perfect! You don't need to use a whole lot of napkin. I love the flower idea and it suits your picture to a tee!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Very pretty! Look how cute you are in that photo!
Your flower reminds me of some red paper poppies from my childhood...was it a fundraising type thing? Help me out folks - about the time we were having "Red Feather" drives? Does anyone else remember either of those?
Pam Cook #48
Paula

Post by Paula »

See, we all had faith in you, Petra, and you finished with a beautiful card! Love it, and love the napkin flower :clap: :clap:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Petra - It's beautiful!

I've finally got mine finished. I cheated a bit as the napkin had flowers on it. Background is the TJ madras technique. A happy accident - when I applied the gel to both sides of the napkin section, it basically became transparent, so the background showed through. I've really got to remember to hold onto pretty napkins.
Ace of Clubs.jpg
Ace of Clubs.jpg (252.44 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Pam, nice one. Don't we all love "happy accidents"?!?