New BIA

Save some $ Find out what works
jfugina

New BIA

Post by jfugina »

Well, as a result of another thread, I finally convinced myself that I needed a BIA. I checked Hobby Lobby's web site, and was overjoyed to see a 40% coupon, so I printed it out and went there last night. I wound up getting the tool for $40. Woot! I got a small selection of o-rings also, but didn't go too overboard since I know that HL carries them and I'm not sure what I'm likely to go through the quickest.

Sadly, I didn't get to try it out right away last night because DH was in a car accident while up in Chicago for a funeral, so I spent a lot of time online after I got home trying to find Honda dealership info and AAA approved repair shops to send to his iphone while he was attending the wake. Luckily there was a Honda dealer near his hotel that has service hours till 9pm. He was supposed to get a rental this morning before the funeral, and hopefully the mechanical repairs can be done before the dealer closes on Saturday. Otherwise he'll have to leave it there for a week and go back for it next weekend. Then he'll worry about the body work once he gets it back home. He hopes the dealer can just get it in a state that's safe to drive back to St. Louis.

Anyway, I did get the DVD watched after the kids were in bed, and I think I'm going to try it out tonight after I get home from work. Nicole is really excited about it. She adores having little notebooks to write and draw in. So the first thing we'll make is something for her. I think the only thing that might be a problem is wire cutters. I didn't buy the BIA wire cutters, figuring that I'd try the tool I have for jewelry wire. If that's not strong enough, then I'll have to go buy another tool. I look forward to making lots of little projects with this - definitely some holiday gifts. :cool5:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
ChristyB

Re: New BIA

Post by ChristyB »

first I am glad your DH is okay and that your car can be repair quickly without too much hassle.

second I have found that my jewely clippers can cut the orings and I have even used my tonic scissors to cut them
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks Christy. Yeah, he's fine. He had picked up his aunt who flew in to Midway from Boston, then they headed to O'Hare to get my MIL who had cut a trip to Montana short to attend. And they were on the way to the hotel when it happened. None of the three of them were hurt. The police at the scene said that the accident was entirely Rob's fault, and issued a citation for changing lanes (I am quite certain that I don't have the whole story there.. LOL). So there will be that mess to deal with too. Oy. And we're supposed to leave for Disney World (driving) in two weeks. So it should be an interesting two weeks while we get this worked out.

Good to know about the jewelry wire cutters. What I have is an extremely cheap set, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not tough enough, but it will be worth a try. I also have some scissors that aren't fit for paper any more, and those will be the next thing I try. I love buying new tools, but not when they're basically duplicates of what I already have.
Julie Fugina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Like Christy I am also glad that your DH is fine. You beat me to it. I may be visiting HL soon.
ChristyB wrote:first I am glad your DH is okay and that your car can be repair quickly without too much hassle.

second I have found that my jewely clippers can cut the orings and I have even used my tonic scissors to cut them
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh gosh Julie! If it's not one thing it's another... (I miss Rosanna Rosannadanna) Glad everyone is safe though.

Enjoy your BIA!
Pam Cook #48
djenns

Post by djenns »

I'm hoping to find one on sale sometime later this month. May have to get in the after thanksgiving sales.
Diana
Holly

Post by Holly »

Julie-- Thank God your DH and everyone is OK. Good luck with the car.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

We made our first book last night. It turned out pretty well, I think, for a first try. I used the back of an empty watercolor paper pad for the cover (I'm determined to never actually spend money on cover material when there's so much available in the recycle bin), and covered with that letter print paper from TYWL. I used some cream colored POPs from Gimme A Ring for the inside pages.

Nicole promptly confiscated it and declared it hers. :-) She's been drawing and writing in it all day. I guess I did OK. I did realize that I punched one too many holes, but it's still OK. The worst part of it was closing the oring. I really screwed that up, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. It's closed, but it's all warped and uneven. I guess I'll just need lots of practice. :lol:
Julie Fugina
Holly

Post by Holly »

Second time it is easier. View the video again, in regards to that part. Fit the wire to the holes punched before cutting it helps too. :happy94:
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I used the template to adjust the stop for the wire, but it seemed like it was squeezing too tight. Maybe I'll just let it out a smidge next time and see what happens. I've got enough wire to play with for a while.

Thanks for the cutting tip Holly. I hadn't thought of that, and I counted like 5 times before I cut, just to make sure I didn't screw it up. Your way makes a lot more sense. :-)
Julie Fugina
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Sorry to hear about the car accident and your DH. Everyone was fine...that's what matters. Cars can be fixed or replaced. I hope the dealership Is able to get the job done timely.

Good for you to get the BIA...they are fun and easy. There is that small learning curve, and then you are good to go. Enjoy.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA