Victorian tussy mussy

Yoli

Re: Victorian tussy mussy

Post by Yoli »

I should tell you about one thing that I am doing to my tussy mussies that I did not see in the tutorial. I added some of that green stuff you use to hold silk floral arrangements. Sorry don't remember the technical term. :-(

I found that my ornament made the tussy mussy a little top heavy thus it would not stay upright. So I purchased two pieces of that 'green stuff' for this project. They sell the cone shaped one but it was not cost effective. So instead I purchased 2 cylinder shaped ones and cut 1/2" thick disc. I secured the disc to the top with liquid glass and straight pins. After it dries then I insert and glue the ornament pins.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Yoli--can you take a picture of the green stuff and one that maybe shows how you attached it? I can see what you mean by topheavy, and I do need to do something. Glue alone does not hold the pic in place.
nancine

Post by nancine »

these are just gorgeous Yoli - such great detail! I can't believe you are making so many!
I'll have to give it a try.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Holly wrote:Yoli--can you take a picture of the green stuff and one that maybe shows how you attached it? I can see what you mean by topheavy, and I do need to do something. Glue alone does not hold the pic in place.
It's called desert foam and you will find it in the floral aisle of your local craft store. I've attached a few more pics. Hope it helps.

1st pic. In the background of this picture you will see the cylinder shaped desert foam I purchased from Michaels. In the foreground are the two 1/2" disc I cut from the foam.

2nd pic. I place the disc on the tussy mussy & hold it in place with a straight pin. I then use hot glue or liquid glass to adhere the sides of the tussy mussy. Once the sides are dry I remove the straight pin and the desert foam. I place liquid glass around the disc and reinsert into the tussy mussy. As an added measure I place straight pins to secure the foam.

If I had to do it over again I would probably buy one coned shaped desert foam to use as a mold. It would help give the tussy mussy shape and hold the cardstock in place until the glue dries. Once dry I would remove the coned shaped foam.
Attachments
desert foam.JPG
desert foam.JPG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 270 times
desert foam (1).JPG
desert foam (1).JPG (44.59 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

nancine wrote:these are just gorgeous Yoli - such great detail! I can't believe you are making so many!
I'll have to give it a try.
I know . . . crazy isn't it???? :shock:
Monica

Post by Monica »

These are gorgeous, Yoli! And such a unique and fun addition to anyone's decorations.

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Holly

Post by Holly »

Yoli-- what is the diameter of the foam, and what length are you making the cones?

I have been playing and I have several different diameters, and I am also trying a fishing lead sinker as a weight on the bottom of the pick.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Holly wrote:Yoli-- what is the diameter of the foam, and what length are you making the cones?

I have been playing and I have several different diameters, and I am also trying a fishing lead sinker as a weight on the bottom of the pick.
According to the label this is a mug plug. I wonder if Desert Form is the company name? Nonetheless the diameter of the foam is 2 5/8th . My cones are about 7" long.

ps/I found some crystal looking plastic beads that I am using at the bottom of the tussy mussy. The crystal is not only decorative but acts as a counterweight as well. :-)

If you are still having problems I can post more step-by-step pics. Let me know. I can't wait to see what you create!
Holly

Post by Holly »

I wish I had a good template, as I have made numerous adjustments and I am still not pleased.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Holly wrote:I wish I had a good template, as I have made numerous adjustments and I am still not pleased.
For reasons I don't yet understand, the template I tried to scan for you did not work out. When I printed a copy of the template the cone is almost 1.5" bigger than my original template. So I am posting this in the interim in hopes that it will help.

1. From one of the corners of a 12x12 cardstock measure 7" horizontally and 7" vertically. Mark it. My Curvy Cutter comes with two circle templates. I used the smaller of the two. Using the top of the circle, align the circle with the marks on the side of your paper. Trace and cut. If you don't have a Curvy Cutter try a plate. Clear as mud? I hope it helps.
Attachments
tussy template.JPG
tussy template.JPG (54.52 KiB) Viewed 222 times
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG (55.3 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Last one. Made it with CS's Sparkle paper.
Attachments
Sparkle.JPG
Sparkle.JPG (24.39 KiB) Viewed 219 times
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Yoli that is so very pretty.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I really really like that one
Holly

Post by Holly »

Thanks Yoli--I started with a plate, but realize my mistake was in not making sure the two sides were exactly even.
BTW-- another pretty one with the sparkle paper. After working in the yard today-- I will try again.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Finally got to work on these again, and Wow! I followed all your directions and suggestions Yoli, and they are so much easier to do. Thanks so much for all your help. I will take a few pics tomorrow evening.