Distress inks are my new best friend....

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Ruth Ann Landry

Distress inks are my new best friend....

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Thanks to Sharon V who posted Dan's blog..I now know how to use these inks (and I have 12 currently and will get more)..I also saw somewhere (don't remember where tho) how to "paint" with them, and now have also turned to using them for inking stamps....I'm finding I use the distress inks now way more than any of my other inks. How do you use them?
ChristyB

Re: Distress inks are my new best friend....

Post by ChristyB »

you can make backgrounds by rubbing them on your craft sheet (you have a craft sheet right?) spritzing with a bit of H2O and laying your cs down on top of it.
either straight down, straight up or smoosh it around a bit
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

craft sheet is my second best friend...LOL...use it to paint with DI...
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I love them too!! I also use the reinkers, and make my own glimmer mists, thanks to Tim's website, he gives the directions :) :greenbounce:
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

OH YEAH! Aren't home-made glimmer mists the BEST??? Becky and I saw that technique at a rubber stamp expo last spring, and OMG. I think we bought like 10 colors of distress reinker between the two of us. The same demonstrator was also showing how to use the distress inks to kind of color in a design on one of those foam stamp pads, and use that as a highly customized kaliedascope (sp?) pad kind of thing.

That particular booth was a huge Ranger reseller. And if memory serves, the only reason Becky and I didn't wind up with the entire Ranger product line was because their credit card machine wasn't working, and we were limited to what we could write a check for. :mrgreen:

Oh, as for the "how do you use them" question, I keep all of my distress inks in my crop kit (as opposed to the bucket with all of my other inks), because that kit travels, and they are my favorites for inking the edges of whatever I'm doing.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

Okay so now I am wondering if I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't have any distress inks, alcohol inks, or perfect pearls to make glimmer sprays. I am going to email DH right now and tell him that I need to shop.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

scrappin nurse wrote:Okay so now I am wondering if I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't have any distress inks, alcohol inks, or perfect pearls to make glimmer sprays. I am going to email DH right now and tell him that I need to shop.
LOL Lanita you are sooooo lacking :lol:
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

ChristyB wrote:
scrappin nurse wrote:Okay so now I am wondering if I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't have any distress inks, alcohol inks, or perfect pearls to make glimmer sprays. I am going to email DH right now and tell him that I need to shop.
LOL Lanita you are sooooo lacking :lol:

I know! what's up with that? I better get on the ball.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

My favorite DI tool is my carousel with applicators for each color group. Tim showed his off at a class several years ago. He had the carousels there for us to buy and they disappeared. The applicators originally are for the AI inks. It has been so long since I made these applicators I don't remember how I glued the Cut & Dry Stamp Pad Foam on. These are used daily or when I'm lucky enough to have time to do something. No laughing at my "work area". :lol: :lol: :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

hhhmmm looks like I commented on Luanne's messy desk too soon. :D

I think we should all post our messy desk pics so none of us feel bad.
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

Ruth Ann I'm sure you got one of those craft mats from Luanne...you NEED that! I use distress inks to:
watercolor images...smash the pad on the mat and pick up with your paint brush
TH distress tags...again smash on the mat, spritz with water lay your WC paper over it, dry and do it again with another color
dye ribbon...same process
spray mists...using a mini mister fill partially w/water and a few drops of reinker till its the color you like...for glimmer add perfect pearls or pearl ex...need a binder with pearl ex..(it will come to me)...

Think of them as watercolors because they are water soluble..anything you would us watercolors for you can use distress inks.

You NEED the reinkers too.
Edited: If you have a chance to buy Nick Bantock ink and/or reinkers do so...they colors are wonderful
nancine

Post by nancine »

paddlegal wrote:My favorite DI tool is my carousel with applicators for each color group. Tim showed his off at a class several years ago. He had the carousels there for us to buy and they disappeared. The applicators originally are for the AI inks. It has been so long since I made these applicators I don't remember how I glued the Cut & Dry Stamp Pad Foam on. These are used daily or when I'm lucky enough to have time to do something. No laughing at my "work area". :lol: :lol: :lol:
I use mosaic tape by Judikins to keep my Cut-n-Dry foam on the stamps - I actually purchased two vintage Standard stamp holders a few years ago off ebay and they came with old store stamps so I peeled the rubber off to use them for Distress purposes. I kept one and gave one to a friend for Christmas - this was before Tim came out with his but I really liked the idea.

The mosaic tape is really cool because it holds wonderfully, but you can remove stuff when you want!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Where is the best place to get Distress Inks? I have 8 that I got at AC Moore or Michaels but they don't have any other colors.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I like ordering from blockheadstamps, their quick and priced about the same.
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I'll check them out!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO