Metal question

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
pamcook

Metal question

Post by pamcook »

Do you think aluminum foil would work? Has anyone tried it?
I'm trying to hard to not spend any more on craft supplies this month. I don't have the metal tape. I do have some copper sheets but man, I hoard that stuff!
Pam Cook #48
Ruth Ann Landry

Re: Metal question

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

go to your local auto supply and get the metallic muffler repair tape..it's quite wide and it's all I use for crafting..embosses like a dream and has pull off paper back and is already adhesive.....
rinda

Post by rinda »

So glad you asked pam. Anyone else know if foil will work? Or what about a metallic paper?
Not sure if there's any auto supplies at our local hardware store. Auto supply is a bit of a drive (we live in the boondocks, I know).
Rinda
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

I think you could get that kind of tape in several kinds of stores including walmart, etc....and when it comes to the boondocks...i live in a one red light town..seriously...in a 23 mile stretch of road, there are 3 redlights!!!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I should have looked at today's tag before answering. Foil would probably work if you backed it with something to make it a bit stronger and pushed it around the letters a lot with your fingers rather than something pointed. You can also use flashing tape I think it is called. A hardware or DIY store would have something and it's not very expensive. I wonder where mine is and I wonder how it would look using duct tape.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

i'm going to use foil...very gently!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I'm going to try 2 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil tonight. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try a soda can (I seriously don't want to spend money on supplies). I'll let you know...
Pam Cook #48
capescrapper

Post by capescrapper »

pamcook wrote:Do you think aluminum foil would work? Has anyone tried it?
I'm trying to hard to not spend any more on craft supplies this month. I don't have the metal tape. I do have some copper sheets but man, I hoard that stuff!

That is what I am going to try. I am planning on running it thru my Xyron to make it sticky!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have duct tape and have that on my tag but have gotten no further.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

I used 2 layers of heavy duty Aluminum foil. I was very gentle and it still tore in some places. For the 2nd layer, I pressed around all letters and shapes. That seemed to help a bit.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

I went to Michaels this morning. They did not know what I was talking about. I have an actual sheet of thin metal but its still too thick for this project. I plan on using heavy duty alum foil as well. Can't wait to see what you ladies create with this project.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I think I'm going to break down after the holidays and order a metal assortment from Ten Seconds. They have the most adorable projects on their website. Every once in a while I'll wish I had some - it would be nice to have some on hand.
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Go here:

http://tensecondsstudio.com/

they have excatly what he used.
Monica

Post by Monica »

I was thinking of using aluminum foil myself, and running it through the Cuttlebug using one of my Christmas embossing panels. I love what Tim did, but I've already spent too much on stuff for the tags this year (ended up making those cute pins for the women on both sides of our family!).

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

You should be able to use the aluminum foil - I've been using it for a TJ technique where you put it on cardstock and run through cuttlebug with embossing folder and then color with alcohol inks. You probably would just need to be gentle putting it on, but the heavy-duty stuff would be sturdier.