How Do I? More About Unmounting

bethrich

How Do I? More About Unmounting

Post by bethrich »

My fingers are sore from taking extremely stubborn foam off some of the wood mounted stamps. Does anyone have special tips for this? I've used the microwave and also Goo Gone.

The Stamping Up stamps came apart very nicely. Inkadinkado is horrid and I'm not unmounting any more of them for the time being because of that. I had mixed results with Hero Arts and others. I am not doing CS at this point.
julierealtor

Re: How Do I? More About Unmounting

Post by julierealtor »

Beth, I've only ever done a few...only 10 seconds in the micro and they should peel off. No help right?
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Just a suggestion, but how about if you use a metal putty knife to slide under them while they're still warm from the microwave? It would save your fingers.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

For the stubborn ones, try to just get the rubber off the cushion and leave the cushion part on the wood. I found that was often the worst and stickiest part. Also, too, the cushions often rip and pull apart after extended use on and off the acrylic block and you end up taking them off later anyway. I would get rid of them all right from the start if I was doing it over again.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Beth, I unmounted all my Christmas stamps last year, from at least 8 or 9 different companies, and no matter which method I tried I ended up with sore fingers. There are some adhesives that just do not like to release from the rubber no matter how long you nuke them. The other thing I tried (which worked on some of them) was to soak the rubber in rubbing alcohol for several minutes... it would help to get some of the stubborn foam off the backs. You want to do this after you've separated the rubber from the wood. After that step, the only thing is to just rub the goop off. I had sore fingers for a couple weeks. I found that if I did say 3-4 pieces a night, then it wasn't so bad.... but when I tried to just use the Aleene's over the top of the leftovers, it didn't stay on the rubber but came off onto my acrylic block.

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone with the sore fingers! I also was working on Christmas stamps. Great minds, Monica! I planned to put away the ones I won't use everyday.

Pam, thanks for the idea. I'll definitely try a putty knife when I go back to it. I'm down to all the WM fitting in the shelves. Since the cleaning crew is coming tomorrow, that's it for this weekend.