Rosemary Biscotti

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
Monica

Rosemary Biscotti

Post by Monica »

As promised.... here's my favorite soup-dipping biscotti...

Rosemary Biscotti

1/4 cup butter (if at all possible, use butter.... margarine doesn't really work well for this)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 egg whites
1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real vanilla works the best)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup fresh rosemary, divided (separate the individual pieces from the stems before mincing.... I didn't know this the first time I made it)
1/2 cup currants, dried cherries or cranberries (I usually get currants, but Craisins work well too)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I usually skip this and it hasn't made any difference I can see)

Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or cover with a sheet of baker's parchment paper (this is what I use).

Beat butter in mixing bowl until light and creamy. Beat in sugar until light. Beat in 2 egg whites until blended. Beat in egg, vanilla & almond extracts, and 2 Tablespoons of the minced rosemary until blended. Stir in currants.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl. Stir sifted ingredients into creamed mixture until completely mixed. Divide dough into 2 parts. Shape each into a 12 inch long log (actually it's more of a wide, flat 12 inch log about an inch thick... think of a piece of biscotti and you'll get the idea). Roll each log in remaining rosemary to coat outside. place logs on prepared baking sheet. Lightly beat remaining egg white and brush tops & sides of logs. bake until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove logs from oven and let cool 10 to 15 minutes.

Cut logs into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange slices on baking sheets and bake 5 to 7 minuteson each side, until lightly browned.

Then.... store in airtight container if there are any left after eating with your soup! :)

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Re: Rosemary Biscotti

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds yummy Monica! I love craisins and use them on my salads.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Thanks Monica! Sorry about the wake up call! :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Holly

Post by Holly »

This looks both easy and delicious! Wish I had had the recipe a week ago when I had company. But I am going to make it for just us now, and will keep it in mind for the next time I have guests. Thanks Monica!
Monica

Post by Monica »

I now have all the recipes I printed off the internet hole punched and in their binder too.... I figured if I was going to hunt through the stack for this recipe I may as well do that at the same time.... which means I wasn't quite awake yet as I've been procrastinating on that project for several years! Lolz! Have fun with the recipe..... I'm off to find some caffeine...... :yawn: :yawn:

Monica
Monica

Post by Monica »

:bump: In case someone is looking for it.....

Monica
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

mmm sounds yummy!!! wonder if i can find fresh rosemary here.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Aren't these really sweet to be eating with soup? I love the sound of the rosemary but all the sugar and dried fruit sounds a bit weird.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Honestly, the first time I made a batch I was concerned, but they pair so nicely with soup and aren't that sweet. The currants aren't sweet like the Craisins or dried cranberries. I've had them with tomato soup, vegetable soup, chicken & vegetable soup.... so yummy! Trust me.... try it, you'd love it!

Monica