Mounting Stamps

New tricks to amaze your friends
Sharonv

Mounting Stamps

Post by Sharonv »

Hi there. I read this on Stampers Quest and thought DUH why didn't I think of that... LOL
Much quicker and cheaper than applying tack it over to all your individual stamps :)

My next tip for this great glue is using it for your unmounted stamps. I have seen many people mention using Tack-It Over and Over as a mounting method for their rubber stamps. Their method is to cut out the stamps and paint a thin layer of glue on the back of each. Allow the glue to dry until clear and then store on acetate sheets.

However, being rather impatient when it comes to inking up new rubber, I use a faster (and even less expensive method) of temporarily mounting my stamps. Instead of applying glue to each stamp, I apply a layer of glue to the clear, acrylic block. This method means that you can start stamping immediately after cutting your rubber stamps apart, you will use less adhesive and is a bit neater (I found when I used it on the back of my stamps cat hair and dust seemed to be drawn to it). Do not forget to pull the stamp quickly after using or you may need an adhesive remover to remove the stamp later.

The tackiness of the glue on the acrylic block lasted about two months for me, even if I accidentally inked it rather than the stamp. I found that on occasion areas of the glue lost it's tackiness, when this occurred I used my fingertip to 'roll' the glue a bit which helped make it tacky once more. When you are ready to apply a fresh layer, the easiest way to remove the adhesive is to scrape it off with the edge of another acrylic block.

Also on the same article the lady told how to make your own glue dots
Link is here
http://stampersquest.com/2010/11/22/cre ... agazine%29
capescrapper

Re: Mounting Stamps

Post by capescrapper »

Thanks for the cool tip!

My friend Ron does this and uses them as Glue dots.

But you are right Sharon, DUH, why didn't I think of tacking the block!! Man seems kind of obvious huh?! :lol:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I was just reading this the other day about using unmounted stamps, and thought about sharing it at the time. Now seems like a good time.

This is from the Blockheads site:
Use regular 1/8" cling for larger stamps such as background stamps. Thicker cushion helps large stamps stamp more evenly. Use thin cling for smaller stamps, especially narrow stamps like borders or thin verses. Also use thin cling with unmounted wood mounted stamps if you are unable to get the manufacturer's cushion off the stamp. You'll end with a thicker cushion layering two but it won't be too thick if you're using the thin cling. For medium sized stamps between 2" and 4" square you can use either regular or thin Cling Cushion.

I always wondered why I got a better image from the unmounteds that I've used EZ Mount on than with my uncushioned stamps. Personally, I like using this instead of something that's messy and has to be reapplied. Just seems like wasted effort to me and one more thing to have to clean up when I'm through making a mess.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

I still use EZ Mount on all my unmounted also...have to agree with what you said Pam.
Judi in IL

Post by Judi in IL »

If you put the adhesive on the block instead how would you store the stamps so they can be seen?
capescrapper

Post by capescrapper »

True Judy! Maybe just in a flat CD holder or something like a page protector. I personally think I will stick with the Mount It!
jdrhope

Post by jdrhope »

Judi in IL wrote:If you put the adhesive on the block instead how would you store the stamps so they can be seen?
That is what I was thinking too.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I thought the same thing about storing the stamps. I really like to be able to see the stamps lying out in view rather than maybe go through a baggie or box to retrieve them. I keep mine in CD cases and it is so easy to find and use them.
djenns

Post by djenns »

I've been using Aileen's for about 5 yr's now....and put on page protectors with the stamped sheet behind the stamps....haven't had too many problems. I coat the entire sheet and then cut out.....but Lynn recently showed me how to make a glue box - I seem to remember you coat the bottom of a pm with the adhesive you use for the stamps.......let it get good and tacky, and then cut the stamps and lay the stamp in the box to pick up the adhesive.....maybe she'll get on here and correct me....:D....

if I ever have one that looses it's stickyness, which has been a very few, I just recoat it.......

Diana
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I can see how having one block with adhesive on it could be useful. I haven't put Alene's on all my UMs. When I want to use one, I either prep the sheet or find a different stamp if I'm in a hurry. And of course it seems when I'm in a hurry the one I want isn't ready! I have an extra block or two hanging around, so I'm going to put Alene's on one and see how it goes.