Raspberry-Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

Havent tried this yet but got it in an email from Self magazine. Sounds delish!

Bake your cake—and eat it, too! These individual lighter-than-air angel food cakes are perfectly balanced with a rich chocolaty frosting to add an extra touch of delicious to your low-calorie indulgence.
Makes 6 cakes
Ingredients
Cake
Vegetable oil cooking spray
8 large egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
Filling
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
Frosting
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
Preparation
For cake
Heat oven to 350°. Coat bottom (not sides) of a 9” x 13” baking pan with cooking spray. Beat egg whites, 1 tbsp water, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until foamy. Continue to beat, adding sugar a little at a time, until batter is fluffy. Add vanilla and beat 1 minute more. Sprinkle a small amount of the flour over top of batter and fold in; repeat 8 to 10 times or until you've incorporated all the flour. Spread batter in pan, coaxing evenly into corners with a rubber spatula, and shake pan once or twice to even out surface. Bake until cake is a light golden color and surface springs back gently to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edges of cake to separate it from pan. Cool on a rack 2 hours.
For filling
Heat berry preserves in a small pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a gentle simmer.
For frosting
Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Take bowl off heat; stir in sour cream.
For assembly
Place a cutting board over cake pan; invert cake onto board. With a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter, cut 12 rounds from cake. Top 6 rounds with 1 heaping tbsp of raspberry filling (you will have some left over), then place 6 remaining cake rounds on top. Spread 1/4 cup frosting over top and sides. (You should have some frosting left over.) Top with raspberries. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and bring to room temperature 1 hour before serving.
Paula

Re: Raspberry-Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Post by Paula »

Sounds more like SINFUL and delicious :clap: :clap:

Paula
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Okay--I first read this I'm like 6 cakes :censor: What the :censor: am I going to do with 6 cakes (which proves one should always read the whole thing before forming an opinion as they are really 6 tiny cakes cut from one big one
:roll:
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds yummy!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

ChristyB wrote:Okay--I first read this I'm like 6 cakes :censor: What the :censor: am I going to do with 6 cakes (which proves one should always read the whole thing before forming an opinion as they are really 6 tiny cakes cut from one big one
:roll:

:lol: Yea, you gotta read it all.
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

This sounds like something I need to try. TFS!!