question about gelli prints

4nancie

question about gelli prints

Post by 4nancie »

I just watched a tutorial on this. Question what is the plate that the paint goes on made of? Why is this called gelli prints.
Can I use a marble square to put the paint on then layer stuff on that?
Looks like fun I will say that.
ChristyB

Re: question about gelli prints

Post by ChristyB »

you can use a marble square.
It's just mono printing.

The gelli plate is made of ?????
but it is very reminiscent of the printing plates I have made with actual gelitan. Only difference is this can be used over and over again.
aprilpzzl

Post by aprilpzzl »

It is fairly sturdy, but can be cracked or broken.

We used fluid acrylics. I think the video mentions cheaper acrylics~which I certainly will try.
But I was so pleased w our results, it might be worth the difference in cost.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Nancie, Here is the link to Rachelle's post about making your own gelli plates. http://www.paperartistsonline.com/forum ... in&start=0
You have to keep the homemade ones in the fridge and I suppose they won't last as long. That's why they are called gelli plates. It's a technique that has been around for many years but the commercial plates have made it more approachable I suppose.
I think I read somewhere that you could melt the homemade ones down again. Anyone know?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Here's the youtube link with a short video and the recipe to make them from unflavored gelatin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZgBkBv8y5s
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

In my experience, the homemade one began to break after a few times. It took up too much room in my refrigerator. However, it did give me a chance to play and see if I was interested before I spent the money for a gelli plate. I liked the effects I got, so I purchased one.

As for the marble, I'd say you could get a prints using the same technique. I've seen on blogs and such where they say you could use a pane of glass or even a covered hard surface. I think you would get prints, but they won't have the same effect as the gelli or gelatin surface. There's something about the flexibility of the gelli/gelatin.

If you're interested, my suggestion would be to make a gelatin plate using the recipe in the link and see if you like it. Also, try the marble and see the difference. The recipe is very inexpensive. Experiment and see what you like.

According to the Gelli Art site " the gel printing plate is made of a unique plastic that contains mineral
Oil".
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

A few tips:

I was reading an article last night in an old ClothPaperScissors and the woman recommended mixing your acrylic paints with an Open Acrylic Medium to extend the open time of the paints on the plate. Do you experienced people think this might be something worthwhile to do?

Another article was about reconstituting gelatin plates from Quilting Arts Magazine in 2009.
Put the broken up pieces in a colander and gently rinse off all the paint you can. Put them in a microwavable dish and add a little water if it is very stiff. Microwave until it liquefies, watching it carefully, it only takes a few minutes. Pour it back into your plate container and refrigerate again. Any remaining paint in the plate will sink to the bottom where it can be ignored. Her recipe was 2 envelopes of gelatin to 1 cup of water so that would make a very stiff plate.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

The woman who taught the class mentioned the extender. I supposed it would be helpful if you were doing some drawings or more complicated designs. I personally don't see myself needing it.

The most fun thing I learned in the classs - when you have dried paint bits on the plate, instead of washing them off, add a layer of wet paint and let it dry just a tiny bit. When you make the print, the dried bits will all pull off into your design. I loved the way it looked.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I wonder about those rubber like adapter sheets for die cut machines?? What if you adhered one of those to a hard surface...say a large tile...would that be a viable printing option? I suppose I could give that one a try.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

A gelli plate isn't hard at all. It's very pliable - like those treats you make with jello but a bit firmer. Hard to describe!
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

pamcook wrote:A gelli plate isn't hard at all. It's very pliable - like those treats you make with jello but a bit firmer. Hard to describe!
I understand what you're saying Pam, goodness knows I made a ton of finger jello in my day! I still think that adapter mat or two stacked, would provide a cushy surface.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Give it a try Pat and show us the results. I'm sure it would work.
Pam Cook #48
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

Thanks for all the input. When I have time I will try something. I really like the looks of the finished ART! My X works for a gasket company I will see if they has some thicker ply-able rubber. Maybe that will work. If not I will try the recipe and make a gelli plate
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

pamcook wrote:Give it a try Pat and show us the results. I'm sure it would work.
Well, I did give it a try. I did watch the gelli print demo the other day, so I "sorta" remember the basics. LOL

I used one tan mat, paint and sometimes used a clear glaze to act like an extender. I think the gelli would give more definition, as it is more pliable. I used 2 things for texture...a piece of net type ribbon from CS and a honeycomb stencil. I wasn't as pleased with my results, not enough texture showing on some, but then went to town with sprays and ink and such. I think I have a couple of nice pieces that could be used in other projects.

edit: I just went back and watched the video again. I will give this another try...with less paint on the mat and more texturing.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

The first two are some of my first tries...and I inked and sprayed till I was somewhat happy with them.
The set of 4 are my 2nd try...and they need to be inked up as well.

The tan rubber mat serves a purpose, but I don't think I'm totally thrilled with the process.

rsz_p3240015.jpg
rsz_p3240015.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 922 times
rsz_p3240016.jpg
rsz_p3240016.jpg (101.5 KiB) Viewed 922 times
rsz_p3240027.jpg
rsz_p3240027.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA