Qotd: On this date in 1756,

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Ruth Ann Landry

Qotd: On this date in 1756,

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

..Mozart was born.

Do you have a favorite classical musician or musical piece? What is it?

Mine: Definitely Fur Elise....I took piano lessons as a child and quit after 4-5 years....one thing I truely regret in my life...I took again for awhile as an adult when Dani was taking lessons and my goal was to be able to play Fur Elise on the piano...I DID IT!
cnedaria

Re: Qotd: On this date in 1756,

Post by cnedaria »

Well, I wrote my senior thesis on that mad red priest Vivaldi, so I totally have to go with my perverted priest. Everyone knows his 4 seasons but some of his sacred vocal music is SUBLIME. He was so good even Bach stole a bunch of his melodies to work with. He would have been a total rock star if it hadn't been for that whole "my parents made me be a priest thing". Poor Antonio...
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

As much as I love baroque music (and I do!), I have to say that my favorite piece right now is the Culloden Suite by Julie Giroux. It holds a very special place in my heart for many reasons. There are several contemporary composers that I enoy listening to anytime, with John Williams, Eric Whitacre and F. Francis McBeth being at the top of the list. (I'm sure that all of you music teachers recognize those names!) Contemporary classicists, while not as well known, are, IMHO, as interesting to listen to as the "oldies but goodies." Now if you'd asked me what classical piece I think is sexy, it's not Ravel's Bolero - it would be Bach's Air on a G String.

If anyone wants to hear it, the Culloden Suite can be heard at: http://juliegiroux.www2.50megs.com/cullodenmain.html

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Kellacious

Post by Kellacious »

Ruth Ann,

Beethoven first, then John Williams (no, seriously). Then the list grows so long as to be just ridiculous. I'm eventually going to buy (off of iTunes) Michael Kamen's score of 'Iron Giant.' Just listening to the clip of the last piece, 'The Last Giant Piece,' gives me chills. Oh, and how about Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals, specifically The Aquarium (from The Simpsons Perfect Storm episode). Carly Comando's 'Every Day.'

Okay, have to stop now. 3YO needs help pottying.

Chief butt-wiper, that's me.

Kelli
Jenni Benni

Post by Jenni Benni »

Aaron Copeland. We preformed his music in high school marching band and I fell in love. I also love John Phillip Sousa, mainly because I play the tuba.
Jenni Benni
Mom to 3 sweet little boys.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Sousa's great for tubas. And piccolos. And trombones. LOL.

Pam
Pam P.

ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

while I recognize some of these names (mostly John Williams--and that is because of Star Wars :oops: )
DH and oldest DD are the classical music listeners. I like my music fast and loud--usually to drown out the rest of the noise in my house

Maya though enjoys Mozart, but I think she just said the only one she knows
Shai's is VI Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite No.2
dehlers43

Post by dehlers43 »

Brahms Requiem (in English) is almost heartbreaking in its loveliness..
John Rutter's Magnificat - glorious choral music
Rachmaninov piano concertos
Leonard Bernstein's Mass

I'm kinda partial to choral music.....
Monica

Post by Monica »

Well, I don't know if he's considered classicla, but I love the Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky. And IN a weird twisted way, I consider John Williams' Star Wars music classical.... it was the closest thing my parents owned to that style when I was a kid..... lolz!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Monica wrote: And IN a weird twisted way, I consider John Williams' Star Wars music classical.... it was the closest thing my parents owned to that style when I was a kid..... lolz!

Monica
IMO not weird or twisted in any way whatsoever
There isn't a score from any of the movies that I can't listen too and tell you exactly what is going on. major impact onmy childhood

Imperial March-totally rocking
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

and because of this thread I have spent the last 45 minutes watching star wars music videos on youtube (you don;t know me 8-) )
southernpeach35

Post by southernpeach35 »

Rachmaninoff's 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini'. If you've ever seen the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeves, you will know the tune.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Bobbie - I just played that for Chris last weekend. :D Love that piece and it was one of the few that I managed to learn when I was attempting to learn piano. (Not the better arrangement, of course! ;) )

Pam
Pam P.

InkPattie

Post by InkPattie »

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana moves me.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Classical-- Why "Now or Never" by Elvis is as close as it comes for me.