A Dog's Plea

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Cathy

A Dog's Plea

Post by Cathy »

This poem is hanging up in my vet's office. When my mom had to put her dog down, I copied this poem down on the back of an old receipt so I could tell her about.
Cathy:)

A DOGS PLEA

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me to learn.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.
Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.
tlscrap

Re: A Dog's Plea

Post by tlscrap »

Cathy that is so beautiful, I am printing it out now to hang. Thanks
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
Monica

Post by Monica »

Cathy, I'm tearing up after reading that! It applies to cats as well... my cat-child is my baby, and I hate the thought of her getting older and older.

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Connie Catlin

Post by Connie Catlin »

Thanks for sharing that Cathy - I printed it out and may use it for inside some dog cards I'm making.
southernpeach35

Post by southernpeach35 »

Cathy, I too am tearing up. I happen to have an old dog, she turned 12 this year. I've had her since my middle daughter found her as a stray. She was still an 8 week old puppy at that time. She has been my constant companion all these years and I dearly love her. I dread the day that I lose her but, know I cannot make her suffer when her time is near.

Thanks for posting this.
ChristineOndine

Post by ChristineOndine »

Very lovely, thanks for sharing! I have had many old dogs - it is a special time until it's not, then it takes courage and love to do the right thing for them. Very hard - we love them so!
carriemck

Post by carriemck »

I love this poem and have seen it many times. My little old Ginger girl is 13 1/2. She is a Golden Retriever, and is completely deaf and partially blind. This past year she has had a lot of problems with recurring skin infections, so she is not always the prettiest little girl, but she is so sweet. About 6 or 7 times a week I walk into the kitchen to find her all curled up with the boys (we also have a Newfoundland and 8 years ago the two of them had puppies--we kept one), perfectly still. She can't hear me, so she does not react to me coming in, and she can't really see me too well, so she does not move. My heart stops every time, thinking, "oh no, she is gone". But I always think that that's the way I would love for her to go, all cuddled up with her boys and in her sleep.

I have had to see four dogs and three cats "over Rainbow Bridge" in my lifetime, and it is the hardest part of pet ownership. But it is what you accept when you become their steward.

If you ever need a gift for someone who has lost a dear furbaby, I also highly recommend the books "Dog Heaven" and "Cat Heaven". They are also good self-comfort if it is you who is grieving, but I will tell you, you will probably cry hard when you read either one. Very moving and comforting, somewhat cathartic, too.

Blessings on all the animals in your life!