Paint Pouring

mpizzazz

Paint Pouring

Post by mpizzazz »

Wendy went to a friend's house while on vacation and did paint pouring. When she came home we HAD to try it early this week. I wanted to do small things since I make a mess with paint so I used some old Stampbord pieces about 3 x 5" and a little canvas Wendy had. We just used our old craft paints (didn't make a dent in them), craft glue, some silicone spray and water. Youtube is full of variations on the recipes, tips and examples.

It was fun! I think we'll be trying it again especially to get the cells in the paint which are very desirable apparently. We needed more silicone and the heat gun I forgot to take!

Has anyone else tried it?
Attachments
Paint Pouring Web.jpg
Paint Pouring Web.jpg (143.03 KiB) Viewed 524 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Re: Paint Pouring

Post by pbp908 »

From what I've seen on the videos, it's the heat gun that makes the difference. I wish I had somewhere to try this and not worry about having a huge mess to clean up!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

A friend and I played around with it too. I’m not very patient but I do love to watch the paint flow. We used yupo paper so we could make cards with them. I still have mine in a stack in the garage. My friend made two cards with hers.
Getting the cells is much harder than what they make it look.
Very fun process.
:creating:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

You're both right, it's not as easy as the videos portray it. I watched one where the guy bought all his supplies at the Dollar Store but then when I looked up the canvases he used, they cost $25 each-and had some special coating on them that helped get the beautiful cells.

It's not that messy, Pam, as long as you work small and do it near a source of water and cover the table preferably with plastic so you can wipe it off or peel off the dried paint to use as skins.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

I'm going to have to check out some of those videos. Yours are beautiful.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

So, of course I have never heard of this. :shock:

These samples are beautiful. :clap:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Awesome colors used! My LSS owner does this all the time and has done classes. I’ve avoided trying it due to getting addicted to another craft idea. But when I’m having trouble going to sleep I watch it done on YouTube. Dozens of different methods.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thank you!

Wendy and I thought it would be a good way to use up all the little bottles of craft paint but unless you did big canvases, it doesn't use that much because you are mixing the paint with whatever pouring medium you choose.

I want to experiment with the random bottles of reinkers and dye inks I have. They might work better for marbling paper.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

On YouTube search for Pricilla Batzell...her videos are fun to watch and she knows no bounds to pour techniques.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I was tempted but don’t need more stuff - especially since I got rid of most my paints a few years ago. There’s a lady who sells her paintings at the flea market. Sadly, they aren’t appealing at all.

Marianne, your pieces are beautiful.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Pam! I've never seen any of it in person.

Yesterday I tried pouring glossy PPA over the little square canvas. Not very good, it just slid off but left cracked looking places and dulled the colors, glad I didn't ruin the others.

I also tried pouring dye based reinkers and one silver pigment reinker. The silver just separated into little balls but they could be spread out with a toothpick into starbursts. The paper I used was 300 lb. acrylic paint paper and I taped that down on a stiff board like you would watercolor paper. It really handled all the paint well.

I'll post a photo of it in another thread.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels