Ramping up the crafting!

jfugina

Ramping up the crafting!

Post by jfugina »

At its peak, I was watching TV 4 nights per week - Monday was the CBS sitcoms, Wednesday is Lost, Friday was Battlestar Galactica, and Sunday was The Amazing Race. On these nights, after the kids were in bed, DH would fire up the DVR and we'd watch TV. Well, BSG ended a while back, and Race was over on Sunday, and it looks like the season finale of Lost is tomorrow. There will still be bits of stuff on Monday for a few more weeks, it seems. But that means that we've entered into my NO-TV season, and should have lots more time freed up for crafting! :cool5: :cool5: :cool5:

I've found that what I need for my crafting is to get on a roll. And interrupting that roll with TV every other night just isn't good. I've decided that Race has gotten less and less interesting each season, so I probably won't bother with that again, and Lost I think only has one more season. This makes me nearly TV-free, which isn't a bad thing at all.

I'm looking forward to getting back to it. Once I'm spending time nearly every night in my craft room, it will be easy to get back into swaps and challenges. I've been missing that a lot lately, but I hope to get that mojo back, starting next week.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Re: Ramping up the crafting!

Post by pbp908 »

I just want to find my room!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

pbp908 wrote:I just want to find my room!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

welcome back Julie :clap:
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

I agree with you Julie - as much as I love the shows we do watch, I am excited that starting next week I will have more craft time. :creating:
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I found my room this week and lo and behold - there's a desk in there! I used it last night. It's a good thing.
When DWTS & AI are over, that leaves me with "Lie to Me" and I'm trying so hard to avoid TV otherwise. There are so many things I want to do and I tell myself "I just don't have time". Yeah, right.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Yeah, finding my tables back is probably going to suck up most of the first week of TVfree season. :roll: I have a two tables and a desk, and there's not two square inches of available space on any of them. Ug.
Julie Fugina
Monica

Post by Monica »

'S funny to me that so many of you are this way. I have a hard time scrapping if I don't have a little something to distract the left side of the brain, so I have several TV series on DVD, along with a ton of other movies, that Ican pick from to watch while playing. If I'm trying to really concentrate then it may be silent, but I need a certain noise level to free up my right brain for creativity. Yes, I know... if I'd had kids I'd relish the silence! Lolz! Or so my sister keeps telling me.... ;) We record almost everything to watch at a more convenient time, so I'm used to watching shows while crafting. Of course, it helps that the TV is in the family room, otherwise known as Monica's craft room. Me, personally, I'm ready for some of my shows to be back on this summer... like So You Think You Can Dance (Love this one!!), Eureka, and hopefully Dr. Who. Plus the newest incarnation of Stargate is supposed to be on later this year. I grew up having the TV on in the evenings and multi-tasking with the noise, so it is weird to me to not have it.

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
flojo

Post by flojo »

Here are some great movies to gather if you love watching TV.

The Changeling (not the new one about the woman with the little boy, it's the older one with George C. Scott) 1980
Ghost Story (about the men who kept a secret) 1981
The Joy Luck Club
The Dead Poet Society

My all time 4 favorites. Let me know if you find them and like any of them. You can order them from Netflix.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Monica wrote:'S funny to me that so many of you are this way. I have a hard time scrapping if I don't have a little something to distract the left side of the brain, so I have several TV series on DVD, along with a ton of other movies, that Ican pick from to watch while playing. If I'm trying to really concentrate then it may be silent, but I need a certain noise level to free up my right brain for creativity. Yes, I know... if I'd had kids I'd relish the silence! Lolz! Or so my sister keeps telling me.... ;) We record almost everything to watch at a more convenient time, so I'm used to watching shows while crafting. Of course, it helps that the TV is in the family room, otherwise known as Monica's craft room. Me, personally, I'm ready for some of my shows to be back on this summer... like So You Think You Can Dance (Love this one!!), Eureka, and hopefully Dr. Who. Plus the newest incarnation of Stargate is supposed to be on later this year. I grew up having the TV on in the evenings and multi-tasking with the noise, so it is weird to me to not have it.

Monica
I use my computer for tv. Hulu.com, itunes, and even some of the networks have their shows on the web for free. I always have something on too. Half the time I don't look at it but just listen (which drives DH crazy)
and Monica---so ready for Eureka to be back. I love Carter
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I tend to like to have some kind of background noise going on also, but it can't be a TV show I'm into. My attention will be drawn to the show and away from the task at hand. Oops. Usually music is a better option. But even that isn't always necessary because between DH and two kids, usually *someone* is involved with something that makes some noise. LOL
Julie Fugina
jam1375

Post by jam1375 »

ChristyB wrote:
Monica wrote:'S funny to me that so many of you are this way. I have a hard time scrapping if I don't have a little something to distract the left side of the brain, so I have several TV series on DVD, along with a ton of other movies, that Ican pick from to watch while playing. If I'm trying to really concentrate then it may be silent, but I need a certain noise level to free up my right brain for creativity. Yes, I know... if I'd had kids I'd relish the silence! Lolz! Or so my sister keeps telling me.... ;) We record almost everything to watch at a more convenient time, so I'm used to watching shows while crafting. Of course, it helps that the TV is in the family room, otherwise known as Monica's craft room. Me, personally, I'm ready for some of my shows to be back on this summer... like So You Think You Can Dance (Love this one!!), Eureka, and hopefully Dr. Who. Plus the newest incarnation of Stargate is supposed to be on later this year. I grew up having the TV on in the evenings and multi-tasking with the noise, so it is weird to me to not have it.

Monica
I use my computer for tv. Hulu.com, itunes, and even some of the networks have their shows on the web for free. I always have something on too. Half the time I don't look at it but just listen (which drives DH crazy)
and Monica---so ready for Eureka to be back. I love Carter
I also often listen to shows rather than actually watch them. And am very excited about Eureka starting again - bought DH a Global Dynamics t-shirt at the NBC(!) store in NYC which he absolutely loves.
Monica

Post by Monica »

We'll have to start our own Eureka thread when it comes back on!! :greenbounce: :greenbounce:

Loved Dead Poets Society but haven't seen the others... I'll have to check them out! I'm currently bouncing between Angel (and occasionally Buffy), Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis, any Disney movie, or House.... depending entirely on my mood of the moment.

I've been taking my laptop to work this week and learning PSE7. Got a great boo from the library called Easy Photoshop Elements 7... if you are completely new to this type of program, I highly recomend it.... very easy to use, step by step instructions, and it doesn't make me feel like a complete idiot when using it (my biggest criteria!). Went to Borders tonight and ordered me a copy so I can highlight and mark pages in it. I'm planning on doing some serious digital scrapping this summer when we go up to the 5th wheel... so much easier to just take te external hard drive and the laptop rather than half my craft room. :roll:

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Dani Larcom

Post by Dani Larcom »

I think my crafting will pick up once hockey is over and DH is done coaching softball. Softball is over next week and the LONGEST my PEns will be playing is into the beginning of June. Since they won last night, we'll be playing a minimum of 4 more games . . .

SInce I've gotten so into hockey, and it's on an average of three nights a week, I'v equit watching everything else. I think i watched 2 Lost episodes this year. I know, it's a disease!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I know what you mean, Julie. The majority of the shows I watch are wrapping up. I only have one summer series and that is Trueblood on HBO. Maybe my crafting Muse will find me again as well.