Luanne's Bead Class on Jan 24.....

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Ruth Ann Landry

Luanne's Bead Class on Jan 24.....

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Are you as eager as I am? Got the melting pot for Christmas and anxious to give it a try! I don't know if Luanne posted on forum or not, but her blog shows some beads she and Gwen made and she suggested that we roll our bead ahead of time to save time Sat during the on line class.
Here's what I learned:
1. The thinner the paper, the easier it is to roll them....cardstock and heavier papers will roll, but I found they aren't perfectly round, but more square.

2. I grabbed whatever I could find of paper...even some mulberry! and one of my favorites was NEWSPAPER!

3. I didn't try magazines yet, but probably will before I'm done.

4. A lil dab of BB glue works great to seal the ends.

5. I started with a thin wooden shishkebob skewer and found it too thin...I changed to a wooden chopstick and it works great! I always grab two sets every time I get chinese, even tho I can' eat with the darned things!

6. I embossed some (just on the very ends so as not to waste powder) to give some a little glitz. I even went back with embossing pen and added some little dots and squiggles to those already wound and glued and it worked perfectly.

I hope Luanne doesn't mind that I posted this "heads up" to those who will participate....just wanted everyone to be ready! SO, are you playing on Saturday?
ChristyB

Re: Luanne's Bead Class on Jan 24.....

Post by ChristyB »

I'm hoping too---it depends on the cooperation of others :roll:
Can't do the melting pot at all with Ryleigh around.
flojo

Post by flojo »

Luanne is teaching a bead class? Where did you find out about that?
cnedaria

Post by cnedaria »

And I'll tell you that the Great Outdoors paper rolls like a dream. I made some paper beads with that when it came out and they're lovely...
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

Planning on it...do we have a time yet?
Ruth Ann Landry

Flojo, go to Swaps and Chellenges...other stuff...it's about half way down or so...
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

What size do you make them?
Ruth Ann Landry

I don't think she's posted a time, yet, Julie...
Ruth Ann Landry

Cheryl, Luanne suggested cutting strips about 1 in by 3 in.....I just use tonic cutter and cut every half, three quarters, or one inch....I quit measuring and just eyeball it!
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

I'm hoping to play too! I did see the beads on her blog - they look really cool. I'm hoping to get some beads made up ahead of time like you mentioned. I still have the stuff from the Great Outdoors kit to make the beads (bamboo stick, template, etc) and was going to start there.
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO
Maritza

Post by Maritza »

cnedaria wrote:And I'll tell you that the Great Outdoors paper rolls like a dream. I made some paper beads with that when it came out and they're lovely...

I would love to see your work
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Hoping that I can play with everyone on Saturday I've been collecting a few items that came in the mail. I have two great catalogs with medium weight paper which should do the trick. The colors in these catalogs are intriguing and should be a good foundation for what Luanne is going to show us.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jam1375

Post by jam1375 »

I'm going to have to work on Saturday, but I bought a melting pot just so I can play along, so I'm hoping to spend the late afternoon and evening making beads.
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

lookie lookie at you busy little beavers! Class is "in the can" as they say. There are 3 videos and lasts about 1 hour... I can seriously talk, a lot! I did that so you can actually see me make stuff, rather than me show you the step-outs and you say "What did she do?"

I'll post the details back in the original post, but start time will be 7pm CST. That way people can get comfy and I'll post the first video at @7:30.

You can roll the paper along with me or ahead of time. Cut strips 1- 1/2" by 3" long. I used skewers which fit small eyelets for ends, or you can use chopsticks for a larger bead which may fit the large eyelets. Eyelets are optional.

Can't wait to see you there!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I was in hopes I could join in but my son and grandson will be here and I know I'll be busy with them. I may try and do it on my own after they leave on Sunday. I really look forward to seeing all the great bead you all make.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO